"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Multi-ply cookware has to have a minimum thickness to perform well. Beyond that, more thickness probably doesn't add that much. The question is, is the Cuisinart set thick enough.

If the pieces in the Cuisinart set meet your needs better than the Kirkland set, I'd go with that. Cuisinart has a good reputation (as does Kirkland). You probably can't go wrong with either set.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I bought all my tri-ply cookware at Le Gourmet Chef. The only regrets I have are that I bought a couple of the teflon coated pans because once the teflon wears out, you have a very expensive piece of scrap metal! I bought a couple of teflon coated Calphalon pans, too, but they're guaranteed for life so when stuff started sticking, I took them to Bed Bugs and Beyond, got a refund, and bought the 10 inch and 12 inch green ceramic coated aluminium pans for $19.99 and $29.99 respectively. If food starts sticking I won't feel so bad about trashing them and buying new ones.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Master Chef

I think the cuisinart is thick enough, but I am planing to actually measure the thickness tonight when I get home.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

Well, after going back and forth with "what to do" I returned both sets and bought two pots that I really needed. Both commercial qualities, both from restaurant supply places. I got an 8 quart SS stock pot from a local place for $45 only. And I got a 4 quart pot from an on-line place for $26. I think I did well. Both are of excellent quality. By far better than what I originally bought. I am very happy. And even though I could have bought a hole set for just a bit more, I really did not need the set.

I would like to share the source of that on line place because they have really decent prices as far as pots/pans/knives etc. goes:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/
If you ever looking for something check them out.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

And what good are those other items you get in the set that you do not really want and do not need. By getting two the you work with every day and getting the best quality, your cooking will be easier and the results will be better.

I suggest items with solid bottoms, great surfaces and reliability -- that is why I recommend Diamond's Plus by Woll nonstick pans. They work and I use them (and I sell them in providing full disclosure).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Master Chef

Yeap, you are right about extra items.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Went to buy a new set of SS pots today. I've checked the Belgique set at Macy's couple month ago. Today I found out that they changed the sizes of pots. Originally it had 2, 4, 8 quart pots and couple of frying pans. Now it is 1.5, 2 and 3 quart. 8 is also included but the rest of the stuff is useless...I particularly like 4 quart pot, find very useful size for my family. Darn, I am mad at my self, should have gotten it long time ago.
Can't believe no one posted the simple solution. If a 4 qt is the size you need for your family and they only have 3 qt or 8 qt then all you have to do is either kick one kid out of the house or have a couple more.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
Master Chef

I did kick one out, one the other one is in school, but still comes home for visit, darn. As far as having more, shshshsh, don't tell my wife, she would love to have couple more, but I am getting to old to take care of them.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Can't believe no one posted the simple solution. If a 4 qt is the size you need for your family and they only have 3 qt or 8 qt then all you have to do is either kick one kid out of the house or have a couple more.
What a great idea! I think I'll kick my husband out and keep the kiddo.