"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Master Chef

Disappointed

Went to buy a new set of SS pots today. I've checked the Belgique set at Macy's couple month ago. Today I found out that they changed the sizes of pots. Originally it had 2, 4, 8 quart pots and couple of frying pans. Now it is 1.5, 2 and 3 quart. 8 is also included but the rest of the stuff is useless. Checked couple of other sets and it was the same thing. I particularly like 4 quart pot, find very useful size for my family. Darn, I am mad at my self, should have gotten it long time ago.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Sous Chef

oooh... I know what you mean about the 4 qt. I use it more than any other size, in fact I have a couple of 4 quarters that I always grab first.
I hope you find a set you like, take your time and get the ones you can really live with.
Have you checked Bed Bath & Beyond w/ a 20% coupon?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

One of the big issues with sets is you get what the vendor wants to put together which may or may not be what you want or will use frequently. I ofter recommend getting the items you really will use so you have the stainless pots for just the recipes you want and can also have the cast iron or nonstick items for other recipes.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Your bane is my delight, Charlie.
Last time I was looking at pots/sauce pans they came in sizes larger than I wanted.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'm really bumbed, they seem all swithed to smaller pots. Darn.
Did I tell you I am really, really, really bumbed.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Still looking for the new set of pots. I found two that had 4 quart pot, one of the things that were important to me.
Do any of you have experience or heard about Kirkland Signature and the other one is Cuisinart® Contour™ Stainless Steel 13-Piece Cookware Set and Open Stock - Bed Bath & Beyond

What exactly is "Copper bonded 5-ply base"?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Reading reviews for both of them. I do not understand how some people say they are absolutely perfect and others say that they are absolutely the worst. I wish when people talk about :everything is burning and sticking to the pots" they would mention if they are talking about pots or frying pans. How can food really stick to the soup pot, unless you burnt it I do not understand. Please if somebody dealt with either one of this help.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

Foods can easily burn and stick to a soup pot if the bottom is thin or cheap.

Have you considered buying only a few pieces rather than a set (which will usually include things you don't need)?

Cookware and More sells cosmetically challenged All Clad at a big discount.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Reading reviews for both of them. I do not understand how some people say they are absolutely perfect and others say that they are absolutely the worst. I wish when people talk about :everything is burning and sticking to the pots" they would mention if they are talking about pots or frying pans. How can food really stick to the soup pot, unless you burnt it I do not understand. Please if somebody dealt with either one of this help.
That's half the fun of shopping online. At least we can read reviews. It's up to us to know when to roll the dice and in what direction.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Have you considered buying only a few pieces rather than a set ...
I did. It is almost doesn't make sense. I can buy the whole set for less than two pots that I really need, 4 and 8 quart.
Actually my next stop is to look for a welder that might be able to weld a handle, which I can make myself, to the old pot. Though I am afraid that will not be cheap either.
But if anybody does know something about sets above please let me know.

P.S. I did check both of them in the stores, they both seem to have heavy bottom. So I do not know what the negative reviews are about. If it is in fact about frying pans then I am not surprise, SS fries things differently.