Disappointed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Went to buy a new set of SS pots today. I've checked the Belgique set at Macy's couple month ago. Today I found out that they changed the sizes of pots. Originally it had 2, 4, 8 quart pots and couple of frying pans. Now it is 1.5, 2 and 3 quart. 8 is also included but the rest of the stuff is useless. Checked couple of other sets and it was the same thing. I particularly like 4 quart pot, find very useful size for my family. Darn, I am mad at my self, should have gotten it long time ago. :mad:

oooh... I know what you mean about the 4 qt. I use it more than any other size, in fact I have a couple of 4 quarters that I always grab first.
I hope you find a set you like, take your time and get the ones you can really live with.
Have you checked Bed Bath & Beyond w/ a 20% coupon?

Last edited:
One of the big issues with sets is you get what the vendor wants to put together which may or may not be what you want or will use frequently. I ofter recommend getting the items you really will use so you have the stainless pots for just the recipes you want and can also have the cast iron or nonstick items for other recipes.

Your bane is my delight, Charlie.
Last time I was looking at pots/sauce pans they came in sizes larger than I wanted.

I'm really bumbed, they seem all swithed to smaller pots. Darn.
Did I tell you I am really, really, really bumbed.

Reading reviews for both of them. I do not understand how some people say they are absolutely perfect and others say that they are absolutely the worst. I wish when people talk about :everything is burning and sticking to the pots" they would mention if they are talking about pots or frying pans. How can food really stick to the soup pot, unless you burnt it I do not understand. Please if somebody dealt with either one of this help.

Foods can easily burn and stick to a soup pot if the bottom is thin or cheap.

Have you considered buying only a few pieces rather than a set (which will usually include things you don't need)?

Cookware and More sells cosmetically challenged All Clad at a big discount.

Reading reviews for both of them. I do not understand how some people say they are absolutely perfect and others say that they are absolutely the worst. I wish when people talk about :everything is burning and sticking to the pots" they would mention if they are talking about pots or frying pans. How can food really stick to the soup pot, unless you burnt it I do not understand. Please if somebody dealt with either one of this help.

That's half the fun of shopping online. At least we can read reviews. It's up to us to know when to roll the dice and in what direction. ;)

Have you considered buying only a few pieces rather than a set ...

I did. It is almost doesn't make sense. I can buy the whole set for less than two pots that I really need, 4 and 8 quart.
Actually my next stop is to look for a welder that might be able to weld a handle, which I can make myself, to the old pot. Though I am afraid that will not be cheap either.
But if anybody does know something about sets above please let me know.

P.S. I did check both of them in the stores, they both seem to have heavy bottom. So I do not know what the negative reviews are about. If it is in fact about frying pans then I am not surprise, SS fries things differently.

Can somebody explain to me why would SS pan would not be dishwasher safe, or rather not recommended for dishwasher use please. I bought both sets, and am trying to figure out which one to keep.

Kirkland is 5-ply, but is not recommended for dishwasher. The material itself feels heavier/thicker.

Cuisinart is 3 ply, material itself feels thinner, but is dishwasher safe and also has the pasta cooker insert for the large pot which I have been thinking about.

The dishwasher is a kind of big deal for me. As I do not like doing dishes.

Please tell me what you think peoples ;) :rolleyes:

Charlie, I am not familiar with either set, but I really like the pasta insert. I use it when I make stock. I can just lift all the bones or vegis out of the water and tilt the insert to let it drip.

There may be an issue with dishwasher detergent staining the stainless.

I have had a Kirkland set (3-ply, 10 pieces $150 about 12 years ago) and it is excellent. I wouldn't trade it for All-Clad.

I also have a three-ply Cuisinart piece that's about half the age and also great.

I think the thicker Costco set would perform better but the bottom line is which set has the pieces you need most.

Yeah, insert is definitely a nice option. Common pros' help me out. What say you? You can look at the links above too, please help.

Keep in mind you could most likely pick up a stainless pasta insert at a thrift store to fit your new pot.

Yeah, insert is definitely a nice option. Common pros' help me out. What say you? You can look at the links above too, please help.

Charlie, I only ever cook pasta for two so just toss the pasta into boiling water and dump it into a strainer. I have no desire to have a pasta pot with an insert.

Charlie, I only ever cook pasta for two so just toss the pasta into boiling water and dump it into a strainer. I have no desire to have a pasta pot with an insert.
I don't use my past insert for pasta. I use it for making stock and it can also be used for steaming food.

Can somebody explain to me why would SS pan would not be dishwasher safe, or rather not recommended for dishwasher use please. I bought both sets, and am trying to figure out which one to keep.

Kirkland is 5-ply, but is not recommended for dishwasher. The material itself feels heavier/thicker.

Cuisinart is 3 ply, material itself feels thinner, but is dishwasher safe and also has the pasta cooker insert for the large pot which I have been thinking about.

The dishwasher is a kind of big deal for me. As I do not like doing dishes.

Please tell me what you think peoples ;) :rolleyes:

Charlie, some detergents for dishwashers are very harsh and can etch the bottom on the SS pan. And some SS has not been tempered long enough and is softer than others. At least that is what The Pirate tells me. And Spike also. :angel:

I have some cuisinart cookware and love them. I have a 1 qt,
2 qt w/strainer lid, 3 qt w/strainer lid, 3 qt, 5.5 qt pot w/ 2 helper handles, 4 qt, 8 qt w/pasta insert and a 5.5 qt saute pan. I think I may have a couple others but can't remember sizes.

I have some Cuisinart cookware and love them. I have a 1 qt,

2 qt w/strainer lid, 3 qt w/strainer lid, 3 qt, 5.5 qt pot w/ 2 helper handles, 4 qt, 8 qt w/pasta insert and a 5.5 qt sauté pan. I think I may have a couple others but can't remember sizes.

That sounds like the set I got.

So what do you people think of the thickness of the pots/material? How much difference it will make in the cooking? Kirkland is a bit thicker.

Kirkland is 5 ply bottom with copper core. SS, aluminum, copper, aluminum, SS.

Cuisinart is 3-ply. SS, aluminum, SS.

But both pots have the same thickness of the bottom, 1/4 inch, I measured them.

Kirkland though has 100% satisfaction guarantee has limited life time warranty. Cuisinart Has Life time warranty.

Kirkland has 3 different things it says about washing. On the site it says, Dishwasher is not recommended (or something likes that) on the box it says Hand washing recommended, on the paper inside it says leads and pans are dishwasher safe.

Cuisinart simply says Dishwasher safe.

Not as significant but Cuisinart is $10 dollars cheaper, but it also offers a rebate, some free mixing SS bowls, I have to send the paperwork. Originally it was $199, but I had 20% coupon.

And all of that brings me back to the beginning. The question remains:
So what do you people think of the thickness of the pots/material? How much difference it will make in the cooking?

Back
Top Bottom