Disposable Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother hates comming to my house, she is always afraid to cut her self, my knives are 100 times sharper than knives in her kitchen to begin ith and the I like big knives and she doesn't use anything biger then 3 inch blade.

CharlieD said:
My mother hates comming to my house, she is always afraid to cut her self, my knives are 100 times sharper than knives in her kitchen to begin ith and the I like big knives and she doesn't use anything biger then 3 inch blade.

That's ironic, because you are much more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife, since you have to use more pressure and are more likely to lose control of the knife

I was working on something the other day and I cut myself on the Hattori, on my knife hand.

Without the bolster I was adjusting my grip slightly and caught my index finger on the back corner. A dull knife wouldn't have cut me on that one. :)

I was working on something the other day and I cut myself on the Hattori, on my knife hand.

Without the bolster I was adjusting my grip slightly and caught my index finger on the back corner. A dull knife wouldn't have cut me on that one. :)

yeah, I've had my knife sitting on my board, set something down and bumped my hand on the blade...just touched the blade..not even that hard and sliced my finger really good.
Never had that happen with the old terrible knives I used to use. I had got a finger in the way of one of those once while distracted by something..didn't do anything to my hand. So yes, I disagree with the dull blade thing

I'd do it; not leave them behind, though. Just clean and pack back up for the next time I travel and find myself cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen.

That back corner had gotten me before, too.
That said, and maybe this belongs in the my mom used to thread ;), but she always cut her veggies with a paring knife by pulling the blade into her thumb :shock: I'm sure you've seen that method.
Obviously she was not using a sharp knife :wacko:

That back corner had gotten me before, too.
That said, and maybe this belongs in the my mom used to thread ;), but she always cut her veggies with a paring knife by pulling the blade into her thumb :shock: I'm sure you've seen that method.
Obviously she was not using a sharp knife :wacko:

not true, I've done that with potatoes with a good sharp blade and never had an issue cutting myself like that

not true, I've done that with potatoes with a good sharp blade and never had an issue cutting myself like that

Huh? I didn't say you weren't using a sharp knife, I said my mother wasn't using a sharp knife. Big difference.

I still think a sharp knife is safer in the long run, sometime dull helps. Just like it is safer to wear a seat belt, though we have all heard the story of the guy that wasn't and it "saved his life". :)

I do pay more attention to what I am doing with a sharper knife.

Huh? I didn't say you weren't using a sharp knife, I said my mother wasn't using a sharp knife. Big difference.

with your phrasing, it came across like you where saying that pulling a pairing knife down towards your thumb when it's sharp would end up cutting you

For what it's worth, I believe that it doesn't matter if the knife is sharp or dull, you are more likely to cut yourself when you are careless, not when the knife is dull or sharp.

I know the conventional wisdom is that you are more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife because it's harder to cut with a dull knife. My reasoning is that the knife gets dull over time and as it gets duller, you automatically compensate for the dullness so it's not an issue.

The difference is that a cut from a dull knife hurts more.

Every year we spend two weeks at our timeshare in Aruba. It has a kitchen equipped with the worst possible equipment available. As a result, I have been bringing a couple of knives from an old set back and forth with me so I can slice and dice comfortably and safely.

Strolling around BJs (a warehouse store like Costco and Sam's Club) last weekend I came across a set of six (6) knives with plastic sheaths for $19.99. I bought them to take with me. I will use them and probably leave them there (we have a different apartment each week).

I bought them on a whim and will be happy if they stay sharp and last the two weeks. Great idea for a vacation places, not for everyday use.

Are this knives really are metal? I was thinking that it was just a durable plastic knife. :shock:
But they are really cute!!! :)

Are this knives really are metal? I was thinking that it was just a durable plastic knife. :shock:
But they are really cute!!! :)

They are white painted metal blades with different color handles and sheaths.

They may be cute but they are not very good as kitchen tools.

Back
Top Bottom