"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking Do you know ceramic knife?

i want to buy ceramic knife,do somebody know it and take interest in it

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I have one ceramic knife, brand is Kyocera.

These are very sharp, but it is also rather light. I haven't had mine for long, but apparently you have to be carefull about dropping etc as they are prone to break easily.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought a Kyocera 6.5 inch chef's knife some months ago. I don't care for it and therefore don't use itany more.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought a Kyocera 6.5 inch chef's knife some months ago. I don't care for it and therefore don't use itany more.
What don't you like about it?

I have two Kyocera ceramics, a 5 1/2" Santoku and 3" paring knife. You still need steel knifes for some things but I am sold on ceramics.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
What don't you like about it?

I have two Kyocera ceramics, a 5 1/2" Santoku and 3" paring knife. You still need steel knifes for some things but I am sold on ceramics.

I used it lightly for a couple of months for vegetables and defrosted, boneless meats. I found it not as sharp as my regular knives. It would not cut through a tomato without the application of too much pressure.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

I too have found ceramic knives to be a little overrated. They have some good qualities: non-magnetic, non-reactive (won't alter the taste of acidic foods like a carbon steel blade, although stainless knives share this trait), edge retention. But they aren't as sharp as a good Japanese knife made of the newer breeds of "super steels".
Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Couple of you guys have either come across a dud knife or else just got a bad kind. I'm a ceramic loyalist; absolutely love em - and they're sharper than anything else in my kitchen (which is also home to a few Shun's, a number of MAC's, a few Wusthof Grand Prix's, a couple Henckel Twin Cuisine's, and a full set of Kasumi Titaniums).

The only knock I could ever put on em is their weight; it feels weird having a knife that weighs so little when you first use em. I've dropped em, tossed em in the dishwasher, cut through bone with em...I've only ever had one chip on me and that was because I torqued it while it was in a frozen piece of meat due to something else in the kitchen startling me.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Couple of you guys have either come across a dud knife or else just got a bad kind. I'm a ceramic loyalist; absolutely love em - and they're sharper than anything else in my kitchen [...]
That's interesting- do you do your own sharpening? I've tried a lot of ceramics but none could match the edge I put on my own Japanese blades, and I don't consider myself a "sharpening master" by any means. It's hard to imagine going up to 10,000 grit waterstone & glass hone on a Shun or Hattori and finding that your ceramic will best that.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
That's interesting- do you do your own sharpening? I've tried a lot of ceramics but none could match the edge I put on my own Japanese blades, and I don't consider myself a "sharpening master" by any means. It's hard to imagine going up to 10,000 grit waterstone & glass hone on a Shun or Hattori and finding that your ceramic will best that.
I hire professionals to do all my sharpening. I'm a firm believer that home sharpening is just silly. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's just how it is. I'll *always* pay to have the man in the van show up at my house.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
I hire professionals to do all my sharpening. I'm a firm believer that home sharpening is just silly. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's just how it is. I'll *always* pay to have the man in the van show up at my house.
Well, I guess I'll be one of those who disagree! Your pro may be a very good sharpener, but in my experience most of van-type sharpeners don't understand that Japanese knives must be sharpened differently. I can easily produce an edge far better than any of the pro sharpeners that work in my city. Still, if it works for you that's the main thing.