"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy good knives and sharpen as needed. Right now it's needed very much.

I take good care of my stuff so it lasts. SO, on the other hand, throws stuff away on a regular basis.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Master Chef

My mother owns 25,000 paring knives. Or so it seems so. And none are sharp.

We have a cheap green knife in my real office

Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have several paring knives in our kitchen and one I purchased in France over 40 years ago. I was traveling there and needed something to cut fresh fruit and cheese as I meandered through the countryside. This knife is awesome and I wish I'd bought a couple more. Holds an edge wonderfully and fits my hand perfectly. Hmmmm. Maybe I should go back to France for a search.......
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

For something I am going to be using a lot, I buy mid range and I take care of it. I probably spend more time keeping it clean than I do the house. And if it is a gift, it gets even better care. It took me a long time to learn to say "no" when it comes to lending out any gifts I receive. They usually come back broken or dirty. Sometimes they never come back. So buy your own or cook something else. I bought my Food Saver. I take good care of it, not because I use it a lot, but because my sister went out of her way to take me to buy it when it was on sale. I appreciate the effort she made for me. The only person I make an exception for is Spike. Over the years he has shown that he takes care of what is not his. And he returns it. Specially pie plates and cake dishes. He will want a refill later.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think every American kitchen has one. As for peeling soft foods like peaches and tomatoes, a serrated peeler does the job so easily. Even overripe fruit. I can make a tomato rose with a skin so thin you can see through it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I buy good knives and sharpen as needed....I take good care of my stuff so it lasts....
So true Andy. Himself treated me to a very nice paring knife a number of Christmases back. He must have spent hours letting me fondle knife after knife until I felt I had owned "that" selected knife for years. Even so, I've managed to pick up a number of under $10 or $15 ones over the years. My favorite of that bunch is tiny, a 2" blade, and all stainless steel, including the handle. Its made by Rada; I picked it up in OH Amish Country for about $5.50.

Addie, if you have a sharp enough paring knife you can cut and peel all sorts of soft items. My best paring knife can slice tomatoes so thinly and you don't smoosh the fruit. Slices into a thumb pretty good too . Fortunately, a clean cut from a very sharp knife heals quickly with no scar. Yup, personal experience...
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My favorite of that bunch is tiny, a 2" blade, and all stainless steel, including the handle. It's made by Rada; I picked it up in OH Amish Country for about $5.50.

I know what you mean, CG. I have two Rada knives. One is a paring knife that's probably exactly like yours and a Santoku knife. I bought them at an area Mennonite market. They're great and not terribly expensive. I've been tempted to buy another Rada knife at the market, but haven't decided which one, nor whether or not I need another knife of any type. Still.......
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

A true value Katie! I'm surprised at how nice of a knife it is considering its low cost. Plan on looking at them again when we're back home. I'm sure I can find them in MA if I looked but I need an Amish fix.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Sous Chef

The knife i keep in my office doesn't look much like that
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Head Chef

"I can never figure out how you use a letter opener on e-mail."

As hard as you can jab the opener at your monitor between the subject line and the address line.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
"I can never figure out how you use a letter opener on e-mail."

As hard as you can jab the opener at your monitor between the subject line and the address line.
!

Tags
knife