"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
A true value Katie! I'm surprised at how nice of a knife it is considering its low cost. Plan on looking at them again when we're back home. I'm sure I can find them in MA if I looked but I need an Amish fix.
lehmans.com That'll work for you. I looked there earlier today for a push reel mower for a friend.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
lehmans.com That'll work for you. I looked there earlier today for a push reel mower for a friend.
Lehmans ROCKS! Our daughter lives about a dozen miles from their store. Like a candy shop to a kid for me. But my Amish Fix isn't so much about the buying as it is the browsing. Until it comes to longhorn cheese and, especially, trail bologna. They don't ship THAT out-of-state.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Lehmans ROCKS! Our daughter lives about a dozen miles from their store. Like a candy shop to a kid for me. But my Amish Fix isn't so much about the buying as it is the browsing. Until it comes to longhorn cheese and, especially, trail bologna. They don't ship THAT out-of-state.
I'm forever getting things from there and drooling over all the things I would like to get when I win the lottery. At least all the stuff to survive the Zombie Apocalypse...

They have the Rada knives there, too!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #24
Master Chef

PF, you should have seen how busy they were right before Y2K. All those people buying crank radios and stuff. Meanwhile, Himself (AKA Mr. Microchip) was laughing at all of them. He had been writing programs since 1974 and knew how to encode them to reflect the four-digit change. Anyone worth their bits and bytes knew to do that.

When we move back to OH any of you who want to make a pilgrimage to Lehmans can ask me about staying with us. Of course, that's if we don't end up moving in with our daughter!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
PF, you should have seen how busy they were right before Y2K. All those people buying crank radios and stuff. Meanwhile, Himself (AKA Mr. Microchip) was laughing at all of them. He had been writing programs since 1974 and knew how to encode them to reflect the four-digit change. Anyone worth their bits and bytes knew to do that.

When we move back to OH any of you who want to make a pilgrimage to Lehmans can ask me about staying with us. Of course, that's if we don't end up moving in with our daughter!

CG, did you come to Mass. for the employment situation? I get the feeling you are not fond of this area. Five times following my second husband's employment, I have moved out of state and I always come back home. Even though I have lived on a farm and out in the countryside, and in the heart of the city, I still prefer the countryside. I would love to live on a farm again. I always loved early mornings when I would go out to feed the animals.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchguycooking View Post
Hello Everyone,

I just bought an "Office" knife aka Paring Knife, or simply Small Kitchen Knife.

This knife is really useful and I should have bought it way before...
- Precise works : Slicing a garlic clove with a chef knife is a tough job...
- Paring : Obvious lol
- Pointy end : Removing cores of fruit or veggies
- Peeler : Sometimes on soft skins, or to go faster, a peeler won't do the job

Here's a picture of it :

Do you use such a knife as well ?
Looks to be a miniature (10 cm) chef's knife. They sell for about 30 euro in the US.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
CG, did you come to Mass. for the employment situation? I get the feeling you are not fond of this area....
I'm fond of the area, but mostly as a vacation paradise. Himself's job was relocated in 2000. We moved but the kids didn't (they were 19 at the time) and I miss them dearly. We'll be back to visit - his sister will still be here.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think every American kitchen has one. As for peeling soft foods like peaches and tomatoes, a serrated peeler does the job so easily. Even overripe fruit. I can make a tomato rose with a skin so thin you can see through it.

A paring knife (what Americans call it) is one of the three basic knives advised for the basic kitchen. A serrated bread knife, a chef's knife, (size to suit user) and a paring knife. Some folks buy the Dollar Store special. Five to a package. Toss one when it gets dull. Other folks spend a lot of money on just one. And as most folks in these here parts will testify to, at one time or another, they have accidentally tossed out one with the peelings. I have two mid priced ones in my kitchen. Learned my lesson after tossing out an expensive one.

Yours looks to be mid priced. Some come with blades that are too long for the users hand. Yours looks to be just the right size for any hand. And seriously look into a serrated peeler.

Enjoy your new purchase and make lots of happy foods.
Thanks you Addie ! I will have a look at serrated peelers ;)
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
We have several paring knives in our kitchen and one I purchased in France over 40 years ago. I was traveling there and needed something to cut fresh fruit and cheese as I meandered through the countryside. This knife is awesome and I wish I'd bought a couple more. Holds an edge wonderfully and fits my hand perfectly. Hmmmm. Maybe I should go back to France for a search.......
You are welcome any time !
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Looks to be a miniature (10 cm) chef's knife. They sell for about 30 euro in the US.
Yes totally. It's about the same price in France.

Tags
knife