Don't laugh-skate sharpener for knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I know the answer to this already, but I just have to ask it, since I really don't want to have to buy any kind of steel or stone to sharpen my knives or have to go somewhere to have them sharpened. I really just wanted to have my Cutco and Calphalon knives without the hassle of sharpening!

My husband, who plays hockey, has a skate sharpener. I've never even seen the thing, but does anyone know if I could use that to sharpen my knives? It's silly, I know, but just maybe it's the same thing as a "steel" or stone!

Thanks, and you're probably laughing anyway! :)

Only if you plan on skating on your knife blades. Try slicing a tomato with some sharpened skates...

Cactus said:
Hi,

I know the answer to this already, but I just have to ask it, since I really don't want to have to buy any kind of steel or stone to sharpen my knives or have to go somewhere to have them sharpened. I really just wanted to have my Cutco and Calphalon knives without the hassle of sharpening!

My husband, who plays hockey, has a skate sharpener. I've never even seen the thing, but does anyone know if I could use that to sharpen my knives? It's silly, I know, but just maybe it's the same thing as a "steel" or stone!

Thanks, and you're probably laughing anyway! :)

Well, that depends, are you talking about the big grinding wheel, or the stone that you take to the sides of the blade to de-burr it after you are done?

I sharpened skates for many years, and the blade of a sharp skate is actually the exact opposite of that of a sharp knife. It's actually a concave edge. Basically, there's a sharp edge on each side and a hollow tunnel down the middle.

Taking a knife blade to a grinder stone designed to do that (sharpen skate blades) would be a tough go with anything but a skate blade. Although I can think of a way or two where you might be able to make something work, I'd probably say no.

Now using the stone, that you can use on a knife, as long as you don't mind scratches down the side of the blade. I think it would be more of a honing, than a sharpening though...

John

Back
Top Bottom