Edge Pro Apex Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobsanX

Sous Chef
Well I got my EP in, and I started working on a cheap very thin Chicago Cutlery 5" Santoku. I wanted to try out a 15/20 double bevel, so I set to work on the 15 deg. back bevel.

Try as I might, I never felt any noticeable burr on the edge. It's sharp enough to cut paper right now, but I haven't started to 20 deg primary edge. Do I have to worry about not raising a burr on the back bevel?

Well I got my EP in, and I started working on a cheap very thin Chicago Cutlery 5" Santoku. I wanted to try out a 15/20 double bevel, so I set to work on the 15 deg. back bevel.

Try as I might, I never felt any noticeable burr on the edge. It's sharp enough to cut paper right now, but I haven't started to 20 deg primary edge. Do I have to worry about not raising a burr on the back bevel?

No, you don't have to worry. Actually, you're using an advanced technique, creating an initial bevel "just short" of burr formation. This is tricky but when you go to the next finer stone the burr formed will be smaller and easier to remove. Go ahead and cut the 20 degree bevel with the same stone. Since this will be your primary edge, you MUST create a burr to ensure that the bevels meet and then remove that burr before going on to the next stone.

Good start.

Buzz

Back
Top Bottom