EdgePro Apex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just ordered my EdgePro Pro yesterday. I'm so excited and can't wait to get it. I've never had a real sharpening systrm before.

Welcome to the club, Nica. When your EP arrives, watch the video before you do anything else. Soak the stones for at least ten minutes. Maintain a light grip on both the knife and the EP. Use fairly light pressure. Go slooooowly until the action becomes second nature. Check the bevels often to ensure even grinding along the entire length of the edge. DO NOT go on to the next finer grit stone until you have both raised a burr and removed it. Burr removal can be easy or difficult depending on the steel composition. There are several ways to remove it and if you have difficulty please ask. Congratulations on your purchase. Though not inexpensive, the pleasure you will obtain from using truly sharp knives will make it worth every last penny.

Edit: Ha! Looks like a just wrote a redo of my post number 9 on this thread - forgot all about it.... End Edit

Buzz

I forgot about this thread, too, Buzz. When Nicahawk brought it up I reread everything. Your last post was deja vu all over again :LOL: but for some reason I understood it better :huh:

I just ordered my EdgePro Pro yesterday. I'm so excited and can't wait to get it. I've never had a real sharpening systrm before.

This is a good thread and I enjoy reading and learning from the posts here.

You won't regret it, Nicahawk! Don't get discouraged if there's a bit of a learning curve. It's basically pretty simple but the "technique" takes a bit of practice. Start on a "beater" knife or two while you're learning. Don't be surprised if your first effort yields the best edge you've ever created, but likewise don't worry if it doesn't, either.

Have you had a chance to play with the Apex yet? I'm anxious to see how you like it.

Hi Rob. YES YES YES! I've been learning. Oh what fun. Seriously, I've done most of my wife's kitchen knives, mostly cheap, but that's OK for now, three of my hunting knives, and three for my SIL.

OK. I've got to the point where they don't feel sharp to me any more after I sharpen them for a while. But....when I try they will slice thru paper with no ripping. I'm thinking that's progress. I'm thinking that with several more hours of practice they might begin to feel sharp to me again, and I guess that's when their starting to be REALLY sharp.

Bottom line is that I'm pleased with the system and pleased with my progress to date. Many, many, more hours of practice needed to even start to "get there", but I'm enjoying it and having fun. It's addicting!

Thanks to everyone who posts in this section, and I'm really glad I found it. You are all great!

Forgot to mention that I've watched the video several times now and pick up something new each time.
Nica.

Last edited:
OK. I've got to the point where they don't feel sharp to me any more after I sharpen them for a while. But....when I try they will slice thru paper with no ripping. I'm thinking that's progress. I'm thinking that with several more hours of practice they might begin to feel sharp to me again, and I guess that's when their starting to be REALLY sharp.

You will continue to get better and better with each knife. Check your work often to ensure the bevel is even along the length of the blade. It sounds like you're doing great.

About the polishing tapes: Yes, they work fine, but for me they are too time consuming. Consider getting a leather strop and loading it with .5 micron chromium oxide. Whether I stop at a medium stone for my friends and neighbors or a fine stone for myself, stropping makes a big difference, no, an amazingly huge difference.

I have an Apex question. Why is there a learning curve?

I used to sharpen my (and others') hunting knives and was pretty good at it. Of course, different type of sharpening, as the blade had to be durable, too. I used to freehand it with the stones flat (love the wheel chock idea, Buzz). Then, when Lansky sharpeners came out I got one and could really get an edge on the knives, but I didn't like the fact you had to reposition the jig on long blades. I'm not really sure why my edges were better, but I figure it had to be one of two reasons, either I was holding a more consistent angle, or the stones were better. Using the Lansky system was pretty much a no brainer.
Which leads me to my Apex question..... why would there be a learning curve if the system holds the knife right where it needs to be for a consistent angle? And in one stroke, too. After looking at the vid on their site it also appears like a no brainer. An expensive no brainer for what it consists of (IMO), but a system that all you have to monitor is the pressure you apply.

Any opinions, rebuttals, or insight?

why would there be a learning curve if the system holds the knife right where it needs to be for a consistent angle? ...but a system that all you have to monitor is the pressure you apply.
This is where you are confused as I was before I got mine. The system does not hold the knife right where it needs to be. You hold the knife. It is not locked into place and you actually move the knife as you sharpen it. If there is a curve to the blade then you actually move the blade around as you sharpen it so the cutting edge is always in front. For a knife with a sharp curve this can mean moving it quite a bit. That make it a little more challenging keeping the blade flat on the table.

GB is absolutely correct. When I first starting using my EP I had a tendency to grip the handle too firmly. This led to slight twisting moments which changed the position (flatness) of the blade without me being aware. A light grip with BOTH hands leads to the best edges because you can better feel what is happening between stone and steel.

I had a tendency to grip the handle too firmly. This led to slight twisting moments which changed the position (flatness) of the blade without me being aware.
This is what I have been doing as well. I am trying very hard to hard to loosen my grip a bit. I have no problem with shorter blades, but with 10" or so I find it a challenge to get my grip right.

I didn't say which handle - the knife handle. I think it comes from over concentration before the action becomes second nature. Also there is the discomfort when changing sides. I right hander will be more comfortable with the right hand controlling the stone. All it takes is practice.

If you have some cheap carbon knives like Old Hickories they make good starters because the metal cuts fast as well as takes a sharp edge. Don't try very hard steels until you get comfy. My pocket knife has a Hitachi ZDP-189 blade which is a powdered steel hardened in the Rockwell 66-67 range. I spent an hour trying to thin the little 3"er to 10 degrees and gave up in frustration. The EP coarse hardly made a dent. I finally pulled out my DMT Extra Extra Coarse Diamond plate which will bite into anything and finished the job free handing. There are a few things the EP just isn't capable of but 99% of kitchen knives are no problem whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom