"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

EdgePro Apex

I just ordered this sharpening kit. I can't wait to get it. I have a beater knife I will practice on before trying this out on my good knives.

So for those who have used this system, what words of advice can you give me? What do I need to know that I will not learn from the DVD or instructions?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GB that looks great! I thought about that one but the price was too steep for me. I'm eager to hear how it performs.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

WooHoo, new toy!
It looks like a nice kit.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

If i was paying for it with cash then I would not have bought it for the same reason as you Andy. I am getting it on my credit card points so it is just funny money
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

I think you're gonna love it. Expect a bit of a learning curve- it will work well right away but you'll need to do about a dozen knives to really get the hang of it. Once you do, however, your knives will much sharper than they were from the factory.

Beware though: it's addictive! You find yourself buying glass blanks, PSA film & stropping compounds. Once you start getting spooky edges it's hard to stop.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I just watched the video for this tool. It would reduce my sharpening time dramatically. I use a Lansky system and have to sharpen longer knives in sections. Being able to do the entire side in one pass is a great time saver.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Rob. Are there any tipes you can give me that will help with the learning curve or is it just the type of thing that takes a few repetitions until you get it?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just watched the video for this tool. It would reduce my sharpening time dramatically. I use a Lansky system and have to sharpen longer knives in sections. Being able to do the entire side in one pass is a great time saver.
Wow, I have a Lansky system. I used to use it on my collection (when I collected) and my hunting knives (when I hunted). I didn't know it had "transcended" to kitchen cutlery
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks Rob. Are there any tipes you can give me that will help with the learning curve or is it just the type of thing that takes a few repetitions until you get it?
Pay close attention to the video.

Hold the knife LIGHTLY. Use light strokes. Do NOT press down hard with the stone. Be patient and let the stone do the work. Start slowly.

DO NOT preceed to a finer stone until you have raised a burr AND removed it. This is critical.

Once you get the hang of it and your knives become truly sharp you'll wonder where you've been all these years.

Too bad you booted Chico. I've personally watched him work his EdgePro Pro model and there is none better anywhere. He would have been full of tips and techniques.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

It is too bad Chico could not follow our rules after all three admins repeatedly asked him to and showed him exactly how to do it. He obviously had a lot of knowledge on sharpening and I would have learned some things from him.

Thanks for the tips buzz. Those are extremely helpful. I probably would have gone fast and heavy if I just tried it without knowing what I was doing.