"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Two votes for Bahama Breeze. Looks like I will have to put that on my list. Thanks guys.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
Head Chef

I can see why the Apex is designed as it is, and it's a good design IMO. Using the same base would have made the two products nearly the same and would have defeated the purpose- it would cost just as much and be much larger. Portability is a key virtue of the Apex model. Folded down and taken apart it would fit in my work knife case! Personally I never take it down but I know at least 2 pro sharpeners that use them for their work, and one works off the back of a Harley.

The Apex will stay stuck down pretty well if you use a bit of water and stick it on something like a cookie sheet. But I also have to say, if it's moving around a lot on you you're probably using too much force. I think you'll find if you employ a light touch your Apex will settle down.

That said, I'm finally selling my Apex...and buying a Pro! I love the Apex but my dad is looking to buy one, so I thought I'd make him a good deal and step up to the top model. Who knows, I may end up doing scissor sharpening someday too. I'm sort of at a "semi-pro" sharpening level right now. Mostly I've been doing it for free but I'm taking in enough knives that I've had to charge enough to cover my costs, if not my time. Since doing that tip regrind I've got even more people asking for sharpening. My dad retired from his f/t work and sharpens professionally now, and within a year he & Mom are moving to my town, and he would like me to join him. That's just one more reason to buy a Pro Model. Between it and my belt grinder I can do most things, and Dad can take care of the chain saws, ice augers, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

The latest trend is Japanese knives. Look through the knife forum here and you will see many brand names to look at that are reasonable in price. My first foray into Japanese knives was a Tojiro. I do not recall how much I spent, but it was under $200. It was probably closer to the $100 side. I love the knife. It gets very sharp (I have sharpened it at 10 degrees on both sides) and it holds its edge much longer than my Wustof knives (which I do like for what they are).

A Tojiro is an excellent knife. Even though I have knives costing multiples of it's price I still take it to work every day. In fact, I just got a new Tojiro Western Deba. I should post a picture- it's a beast of a knife! Over twice as thick as a regular Tojo gyuto. You feel like it would cut a brick in half!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

I will have to try using a lighter touch next time. I do not think I am using much too heavy of a touch, but it is possible I am going a little too heavy. it is not that the base is sliding around though, but more that the cups just pop off on their own. At least that is my impression. Maybe it is because I am going to heavy after all.

Rob, you are a major reason I got my Torijo. You had talked about them a lot and I really liked what you were saying. You did not steer me wrong. I love this knife. It is my go to knife now.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #35
Head Chef

I'm glad you like it! They're very good knives for the money. The only reason I'd ever get rid out mine would be to pass it on to someone who needed a good first knife. Barring that I'll keep it forever!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
IThe only reason I'd ever get rid out mine would be to pass it on to someone who needed a good first knife. Barring that I'll keep it forever!
I'll send you my mailing address!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #37
Head Chef

Have you tried the Vaseline, GB? If that works that would be a boon to lots of EP Apex users. BTW, I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting for two products in the mail: the Edge Pro Professional Model and The "Gizmo"!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I am saving this thread so that I will remember to try it next time I grab the EP.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I finally had a chance to try the Vaseline. It was a very good thought, but it did not work. I am pretty sure it would have helped keep the cups suctioned much better than the water, but the problem is that it acted like a lubricant. The cups stick, but they slid all over the table like it was an ice skating rink.

On the plus side, I have learned, as I kind of already knew, that I was using much too heavy a touch. I lightened up significantly and also slowed down a bit and that has helped a lot.