EdgePro Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am sure I know the answer to this question, but in case I am wrong I will ask it anyway.

I currently have an EdgePro Apex. I absolutely love it. The one thing I do not like though is that the suction cups do not work very well. I am constantly fighting with the thing to get it to stick. Now the Pro model looks like it would not have the same problem. I was wondering if there is any way to convert my Apex into a Pro? From looking at the pictures it does not look like this is possible, but I am hoping I am wrong. Anyone know?

Well, not a ready made way but it could be done if you're handy. I know of a guy who epoxied it down, but that may be more permanent than you want. Another guy I know removed the cups and screwed a board to that spot. Again, if you're handy with tools you could rig up something to mount the Apex frame to a Pana-Vice base like the one the Pro uses (it appears to be an off-the-shelf Pana-Vice from what I can tell).

I have and love the Apex, but within the next few days I plan to order the Pro model; my Dad will be getting my old Apex.:)

Ooops, it's Pana-vise, not vice. I think this is the base Ben uses. You could get it and the fixturing head listed below it for about $65. Then you'd just need to mount it on there somehow. Certainly not an off-the-shelf solution but not an insurmountable task for a dedicated DIY'er. Of course, that wouldn't make it a Pro, there are numerous differences. On the Apex you clamp the "mast" and the arm moves up and down on it; on the Pro, the arm is fixed to the "mast" and the whole mast moves up and down. The Pro will go slightly lower in angle, and of course the scissor sharpening attachment will only fit the Pro. Still, functionally an Apex with a Pana-vise base would be about the same as a Pro.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Rob. This is some excellent info and suggestions. I am not the handiest person around, but I think you have given me some ideas that even I might be able to do. This is great!

No, I haven't. That is not a bad idea Selkie, thanks. I think I will try that next. I have been using water on the cups, but vaseline might just work better. Great idea!

Seriously though, I am a pretty handy guy and can figure out a DIY fix for many things. If I had it in front of me I could probably figure out a way to mount the sharpener more securely, and less permanently that epoxy or superglue. What holds the cups to the base? Some close up pics would help too!

Here is a google image search. The first picture that comes up is a decent on of the cups, but might not give you enough for what you are looking for. Let me know if you need more and I can take pictures at some point (probably when I get back from vacation).

A real EP Apex expert that I know from another forum used epoxy to glue the EP to a cookie sheet. He reports that it worked very well- and why wouldn't it? We've all used modern adhesives to do things that would have been impossible a couple decades ago.

Worst case, remember the suction cups are attached by screws. So much for the Chinese knock-offs; these are built to last forever. You could certainly find a match for the thread size and fasten it down to some else.

Well I don't know if they are letting me out, but I am certainly escaping. We are taking my daughter (who turns 5 today) to Disney. There will be plenty of sun I hope!

Ah, I was down there in July for a family reunion, so we swung by Disney. Yeah, I'd rather go in Feb! All the pictures of us looked like we just stepped out of the shower.

As long as the temp is above freezing I will be happy.

Just checked weather.com, and I don't think you could mail-order better Disney weather! Hope you and your daughter have a great day! Have you been to Bahama Breeze? That is me and the wife's favorite restaurant down there.

Back
Top Bottom