Ever forget you've sharpened a knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
So tonight I go to the fridge to scrounge up some grub. I see a nice roasted porkloin and decide to slice some off and heat it up. One of my favorites for pork is Heinz 57 sauce, and I was pretty sure I saw some in the cupboard yesterday. I checked and sure enough, there was the ol' Sam's Club 2-Pak of large plastic bottles.

So I go to open it and I grab my Henckels santoku to cut the plastic holding the two bottles together. Suddenly there's steak sauce everywhere! Thinking the lid came off I'm puzzled to see 'em both on tight. As I turned the bottle trying to figure out what happened, I noticed I'd not only cut the plastic but cut one side of the bottle off!:ROFLMAO: It seems I'd hit the shoulder of one of the bottles with the blade and it razored off a neat slice of bottle.:wub:

Note to self: be more careful opening stuff or grab someone else's knives!:LOL:

I check and sharpen mine every morning whilst waiting for the coffee to brew, so I never forget ;)

and it NEVER goes in a drawer!

Funny thing is if you've ever shopped at Sam's Club you'll see you get great prices but you have to buy multiples of stuff. The 57 Sauce has wrapped in two's with a cardboard insert in front & back. Cutting thru I felt resistance and thought gee, I shouldn't feel much going thru the cardboard label. I'd better touch this one up tomorrow!:ROFLMAO: I hadn't realized I'd not only gone thru the labels but the bottle as well.

I'm a bit curious, YT2095- why do you sharpend the same knife every day? I'm a professional chef and even my work knives only need a full-on sharpening every few weeks, sometimes even less. I just touch 'em up on a ceramic steel every few days.

No knives in the drawer for me, either. It would be an invitation to lose a finger! All of my knives are sharp enough to shave hair at a minimum- the better ones will treetop hair. An edge like that doesn't last long in a junk drawer!

a Full-on sharpening I never have to really do, but I do check it each morning and "touch-up" the edge if it`s been used the day before.
but I always check it anyway even if it hasn`t.

I probably don`t have to, but I like it kept Perfect at all times.

it`s gets stranger, because I don`t let anyone touch it, and if someone does I rinse it cold water after.

This is my blade:

cleaver.JPG

cleaverscale.JPG

Last edited:
I was prepping some squid t'other day and sliced my finger having left the knife laying down while picking up the squid....

Barely even made contact but i hate having my knives anthing other than razor sharp so it was innevitable! Wasnt a bad cut so hey!

yeah, I gotta leave a Geiger counter on in the kitchen when I use mine, I keep splitting Atoms! :shock::nuke:

Oh, one-upping in sharpening metaphors, are we? My traditional santoku has an edge that'll fillet a two-dimensional object, and my chef's knife won't split any atoms, but a fellow once stared at the edge to long and gave himself lasik surgery from across the table.

No, I kid! I do keep all my knives as sharp as possible as often as possible though...and open packages with my pocket knife, which I also as sharp as possible.

I guess I'm a little lost here, Rob. If you keep your knives sharp - wouldn't you expect them to be sharp when you use them?

When it comes to doing something like seperating a 2-pak of something wrapped in shrink-wrap plastic - I reach for a pairing knife and just use the tip. I know my knives are sharp ... and that is all I need to slice open the wraper.

I hope you are more cautious of your fingers when using a sharp knife! :LOL:

I guess I'm a little lost here, Rob. If you keep your knives sharp - wouldn't you expect them to be sharp when you use them?

When it comes to doing something like seperating a 2-pak of something wrapped in shrink-wrap plastic - I reach for a pairing knife and just use the tip. I know my knives are sharp ... and that is all I need to slice open the wraper.

I hope you are more cautious of your fingers when using a sharp knife! :LOL:

Well, it wasn't actually my knife. It was one I used to own but gave to my sister. I'm used to mine being sharp but hers are only sharp if I'm around to sharpen them. It appears she hadn't really used it since I gave it to her.

She's the kind of person that will cut a roast and set the knife aside, perhaps to wash in a day or two!:wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom