"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
...Ever use a beer glass to hone a knife? It works extremely well!

Really? How so?!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_william View Post
Really? How so?!
Glass is harder than steel and can easily be used to realign an edge. I've used Guinness pint glasses, car windows on hunting trips and pyrex baking dishes. Pyrex is borosilicate.

Chef W - the motion is the same as using any other "steel". Set the angle and take an imaginery slice.

Rob - the boro rod is in fact from JKS. I believe Dave has exclusive rights to this particular Hand American product. You can find them on line for cheap, just about any diameter up to a little over an inch, in colors even, and they usually come in four to five foot lengths.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My sister has a flat steel that is brilliant...I think a lot of it is technique too. I cringe when I see some people steel a knife.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss J View Post
My sister has a flat steel that is brilliant...I think a lot of it is technique too. I cringe when I see some people steel a knife.
Flat steel, round steel, pick a shape, any shape. The important attribute is that the surface must be dead smooth. Those grooved steels that come with knife sets are files, nothing less. They will tear apart a good edge. Oh, they sharpen alright, at least they sharpen a very dull knife. To look at the result under magnification is horrifying. It looks like the tops of the Alps. In this condition a knife cuts better than dull, but in my kitchen they would be a joke.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #15
Head Chef

Looking again I see that the shorter glass rod (like 12" or so) is only $55. Once I recover financially from the purchase of my Margules Daleth preamp and the Hattoir FK 240mm Gyoto I just ordered, I'll have to pick up the rod and a few stropping products from Dave. I especially look forward to trying the hard felt.

Buzz, you ever remove the burr "Murray Carter style," cutting into wood?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Looking again I see that the shorter glass rod (like 12" or so) is only $55. Once I recover financially from the purchase of my Margules Daleth preamp and the Hattoir FK 240mm Gyoto I just ordered, I'll have to pick up the rod and a few stropping products from Dave. I especially look forward to trying the hard felt.

Buzz, you ever remove the burr "Murray Carter style," cutting into wood?
Ah, you're getting the KF Gyuto. Good for you. I looked long and hard at that one. Then I looked at the pile of boxes in my closet that already contain various Gyutos and French chef's knives and asked myself, "What are you thinking?" In the longer run I'll probably sell two or three and get a Moritaka 270 and wait in the weeds for somebody (anybody - please) to start making a 9 1/2 to 12" Japanese geometry French profile in 13C26. I daydream about one; Smallest carbides on the planet, stainless, long lasting edge, inexpensive steel.... in my opinion, the perfect kitchen knife.

As to the borosilicate steels, go for it. They work the same as smooth tool steel although glass is glass and one must treat them carefully. It must be the devil in me but I love to have dinner guests who don't know my passion. First, they get these funny little smiles when they see the boro alignment process followed by dropping jaws when they take the first slice with my Chuckabocho or one of my Nakiris. It's as if they are seeing the sun shine for the first time.

Burrs - every steel is different. I have indeed used light passes on wood with success. The same thing with the rubber parts of a stone holder. Nowadays I take one extremely light pass with the last stone followed by three to four strops on HA hard felt. When you get yours, you'll notice the felt is grainy. Strop against the grain with light to medium pressure and what is left of the burr disappears. I've been happy with the entire Hand American scary sharp system.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
Head Chef

Well, I need another 240mm Gyuto like I need a hole in the head! But I've never had one of the Hattori Forum Knives, so curiousity got the better of me. I still haven't ordered the HA felt pad but I probably will before long. I just sold some speaker cables that I wasn't using, and the proceeds will probably be used for more sharpening stuff.

Like I need more sharpening stuff!