Fake Global Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
* Stamp or laser cut a blank from coiled/sheet carbon or stainless

Without design or marketing expenses, I think the production costs for an outstanding carbon steel chefs knife could easily be held to under $10.00/knife.

Given their margins, I bet henckels and wusthof are not much more than that for most models. Of course their distribution, sales and marketing expenses are huge.

Hitachi Aogami Blue Super Steel costs much more compared to that 440A junk steel.

The difference in price between a quality hand made Japanese knife and the knives you describe is worth every penny.

Good quality products sell under their own names, and are not counterfeit productions of someone else's intellectual property. That is the important point, not the country of origin of the counterfeit.

Also, France may not be the hub of precision engineering it once was, but when it comes to professional cooking equipment trust me on the fact that "made in France" counts for a lot.

Also if it is easy to make high quality chef's knives for $10 why isn't the market already flooded with them? All the $10 knives I see are rubbish.
No, that's not always true. Whether or not you want to admit to it, some knock-offs are of high product quality. I'm not defending the practice, but some knocked-off products are good.

"Made in France" means no more than "Made in Germany, "Made in USA", "Made in Switzerland", "Made in Japan", etc. etc.

Just how many $10.00 chefs knives have you actually evaluated?

Hitachi Aogami Blue Super Steel costs much more compared to that 440A junk steel.

The difference in price between a quality hand made Japanese knife and the knives you describe is worth every penny.
How much more?

$5? $10? $25?

Often times those "hand-made specials" are nothing more than marketing foof. Yes, good knives indeed, sadly priced far higher then what they are worth.

No, that's not always true. Whether or not you want to admit to it, some knock-offs are of high product quality. I'm not defending the practice, but some knocked-off products are good.

"Made in France" means no more than "Made in Germany, "Made in USA", "Made in Switzerland", "Made in Japan", etc. etc.

Just how many $10.00 chefs knives have you actually evaluated?

I'm a bit of a knife whore and always check out knives whenever I'm shopping. Every $10 knife I've ever seen is stamped, and good knives are forged. Every $10 knife I've seen is not tapered properly, and good knives are tapered for precision cuts. I've yet to come across a $10 knife which has good balance and good knives have good balance.

So as far as I'm concerned they fail the initial test of whether its junk or not junk before you even look at ergonomics, edge holding, durability and flexibility of the steel, blade weight etc.

One of the chefs in our kitchen uses $50 Victorinox chef's knives, and they're the lowest quality that is acceptable for professional use (personally I just wouldn't use them but that's another story)

I'm a bit of a knife whore and always check out knives whenever I'm shopping. Every $10 knife I've ever seen is stamped, and good knives are forged. Every $10 knife I've seen is not tapered properly, and good knives are tapered for precision cuts. I've yet to come across a $10 knife which has good balance and good knives have good balance.
Why are good knives only forged? I read people denigrating bolsters and thick blades so why is forging so important? You're only giving your own subjective personal opinions. How about something objective?

I'm well aware of the strength/reliability differences of the products produced by different manufacturing methods. Do you happen to have an example where a "stamped" knife failed and a similar forged one did not?

So as far as I'm concerned they fail the initial test of whether its junk or not junk before you even look at ergonomics, edge holding, durability and flexibility of the steel, blade weight etc.

Again, why? That sheet/coil that is stamped or laser cut is cold rolled carbon or stainless steel. Nothing inherently weak about that. Why "forging only?" Further how about powder metallurgy or metal injection molding?

One of the chefs in our kitchen uses $50 Victorinox chef's knives, and they're the lowest quality that is acceptable for professional use (personally I just wouldn't use them but that's another story)

Says you. Is this "law" written down someplace as a condition of employment?

OK, can we all please remember that the first rule in our Community Policies is "be respectful"???? Name calling and snotty remarks are not tolerated. This thread is now closed. Should any of this carry over to another thread further action will be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom