Favorite knife manufacturer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite knife manufacturer?

• Total voters
I'm a Henckel user, too.

I am intrigued by the Globals you are all talking about. I might have to try one of them. :)

I have to say that Tupperware makes some very nice knives, as well. I have most of a set of them from when I was a consultant. Pricey but worth it. They have expanded into high quality cookware, too.

I voted for "other". I only have one of the knives listed, a Wustaff boning knife. It's a very good knife.

I'm like Big Dog, as my home knife set is based on a Chicago Cutlery set I bought at JC Penney's many moons ago. The wood handles aren't the best, but the steel is pretty good, for a domestic.

My work set is mostly F. Dick knives. Those are the cheapest German-quality knife you can buy. The catch is, I have yet to see any available at department stores, cutlery stores, or even Wally World. I can only get them from the vendors that come in at the kitchen I work at.

I also have some Dexter-Russel knives. These are domestically produced, but again, only really available to professionals. However, the Chicago Cutlery set I have is made by Dexter-Russel.

Didn't vote 'cause I own many if not most of the blades talked about here [ with the exception of the "Miracle Blade"].

I want to say that if I have a favorite, it must be my global GS-5 veggie knife. I can't rave enough about it. I found myself tonight boning a piece of Ling Cod with it; that is not the right knife for the job, I just love it.

Shuns don't feel right to my hand so I have only the store experience with them.

If your budget is tight, buy Forschner and replace the ones you use most with the knives you need most.

Another brand that I haven't seen talked of here is FURI. I think they have a handle design that is way beyond great. I dumped on the knife after I got my first one home and it cut terribly. I soon figured that they don't know how to sharpen them to ship. They do sharpen easily and hold reasonably. I was later told by a shop owner that FURI were afraid of the American lawyers if they shipped a knife ready to use. Some where in this I sharpened my 'Santuku' and it is wondrous.

Don't buy sets, they are for decorators not cooks. Find the knife that 1st fits you well as it does your task then secondly add it to your collection as you can afford the replacement of your Forshners. [Still the best deal in good knives, not the best ever, just good.]

Good luck

Last edited:
I used to have a 10-inch Friedrick Dick chef's knife, but my S.O. took it with her when she ran away. It didn't work much bette than the Henckles and Cutco chef's knives I have now, I just enjoyed the looks on people's faces when I told them I had one! :LOL:

i don't think i can touch caine's last post. in fact, i don't think i want to . :rolleyes:

but dw just bought a set of wolfgang puck's santoku knives, and she seems to be very happy with them. in fact, it has really inspired her to start cooking. ok, well, learning how to cook. :)
i felt them, and while they're a little light for my taste, but the handle feels good, and the blade is very sharp. i'll have to see how well they hold up over time.

jennyema said:
I have to say that my new Kyocera ceramic santuko is my curretn favorite.

I have that knife too and I must say it does rock! But this is actually my third one...someone stole my first knife and I dropped the second. :ohmy:

I've been a loyal Henckles user for 8 years, or since when I was in culinary school. I've used the same Professional-S series this whole time. Recently however, I purchased some Henckles Twin-Select blades and I'm now considering switching my entire set to this series.

I would love a knife that would stay as sharp as my vegetable peeler.
It is one with the stainless steel handle. (u shped thingy)
It is just as sharp now as it was 30 years ago.

I also have a $9.95 7" Wustoff look alike from Linen's and Things.
Like Sushi... when it gets dull... out it goes!

Enjoy,
Charlie
Charlie

i love my globals but don't you find that they lose there edge quickly because it softer steel? i have a great messermister but the daily maintanance is a killer

I love my Global chef knife. I have a Henkle pro S set which I love, but for chopping, the global is great because it is SO light and very well balanced. The henkles are great for heavy cutting because of the thick blade. My first knives were Forschner, or Victronox now. I would suggest these to anyone who wants a quality knife for a low price. I still use the Forschner sometimes. It has the most comfortable handle of them all IMO.

I'm with linda when it comes to buying a slew of inexpensive paring knives. I like to have a few around the house that I won't feel guilty about using to open a package!!! I just bought a bunch from W-S. I just don't like feeling that I'm committing a sacrilage when I need one, so keep inexpensive ones around. I use paring knives for a multitude of tasks. So the Wustof one stays in the block, and the cheap ones get used all the time!

The only knives I have which I would call "quality" are my 2 Wustof Classic (6" Chef and 5" boning). I use the Chef for most everything. I only wish I could convince my DW that a couple more (I'd like a 10" chef) would be perfect. She hates them because I won't let her put them in the dishwasher like she does with her Cutco set. One day I will slip that 10" chef into the kitchen somehow..... :rolleyes:

I have 2 favorite knives my Wusthopf Santoku(SP) and a henckel's paring knife. My hubby Jimmy has his own set of Henckel's 4 star that he loves -actually it's his pairing knife that I use.He "accidently" threw mine away but, if he tells the story it was my son Dennis' fault!!!

Back
Top Bottom