Favorite knife manufacturer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite knife manufacturer?

• Total voters
A chef I work with just bought a set of Meridian Elite knives that are incredibly nice. Very well balanced, very clean cuts, I don't think there's a thing about those knives that I don't love.

We got a friend of ours (who had an amazing collection of garbage knives) a beautiful Napa Style santoku for Christmas. I got to use it while we were staying with him after the house flooded. Oh man talk about knife heaven. Cuts like a dream, has a beautiful wood handle that fits the hand like a glove, and I'd love to have it. May have to get one for Bob for Christmas!

I have a very assorted collection of knives picked up over the years.

My first "serious" knife was a 6" chef's knife from a Hoffritz Cutlery semi-annual half-price sale, bought soon after we were married. (Yeah, I got a set of shiny knives as a wedding present, but only the paring knife actually cut well, despite my husband's best efforts.) That Hoffritz knife has been used so much that my handprint is worn into the plastic handle. A while later, I bought a boxed "starter set" of Henckels 4 Star knives at a January clearance sale.

Only recently, my husband started cooking and we added some knives from the Wusthof Classic line. And finally this year, with the "old" 4 Star Henckels line closing down, we got a Santoku (sp?) knife.

Somewhere along the way, I was visited by a Cutco salesperson (a charming former student) and I acquired a bread knife, something called a "hardy chopper" (I think), and a serrated slicing knife. I use the "hardy chopper" mostly to saw apart frozen food or other resistant things, and the slicing knife is for the barbeque--I don't care if it gets dropped or stepped on, or stuck in the fire. And the bread knife is the bread knife.

My favorite knife? Probably still that old Hoffritz, unless it's just not right for the job at hand. My husband's favorite knife? The newest one, of course!

Back
Top Bottom