"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
View Poll Results: What is your favorite knife manufacturer?
Wusthof 25 25.00%
Henckles 23 23.00%
Global 11 11.00%
Messermeister 2 2.00%
other 39 39.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #51
Master Chef

I got a Wusthof Grand prix santoku knive for my birthday and just love it. Also have several Henckels that are great and for the "other" category a Cutco paring knife that is out of this world. Also, a cheap murderous 2 lb cleaver from Egypt that can could probably cut through a cow--great in my foreign posting where you can actually get "REAL" bones to open up the marrow for great broths, etc. Outta my way here it comes.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I have several Wusthof kitchen knives that I purchased around 1968. These are what I believe are now called Wusthof's "classic" line -- I'm not sure because I've had no reason to check -- my knives are in nearly new condition, despite daily use (well, I don't really use everyone every day). I have two French Chef's knives (6" & 8"), two paring knives (3.5" and 4.5"), a boning knife, and a 9" slicer.

Maybe it's what I'm used to, but I like the balance and the feel of the handle in my hand. I've sharpened these knives myself, for several years using just a wetstone and oil as my dad taught me, then for several years with a Chef's Choice, and more recently with a Spyderco Tri-Angle 204 sharpener. The blades take a razor-shape edge, and they stay sharp for several months with nothing more than a few swipes with a steel (which doesn't sharpen the blade, it just straightens the cutting edge).

I do have one other good kitchen knife, a 240 mm Hattori Gyuto of Damascus steel, which is super sharp but a bit large for most tasks.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

I have recently bought new knives.. I got a Wustoff Grand Prix II chef knife (very very nice knife).. For the rest (pairer, carving, bread) I went with Andre Vierder and again am very happy with them (not as expensive as Wustoff but still v. good)..
Old 07-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #54
Senior Cook

I have a couple of calphalon knives and I like them a lot. They stay really sharp for a long period of time.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Bump - if I may?

When we were in the house I had a big set of Cutco that Bob got me a few years ago and the Henkels we bought when we first moved into the house. Last year I got a Calphalon santoku that I adore.

Now that we're on the boat I had to cut down on stuff. I've got my Cutco steak knives, My Henkels set, and the santoku. I miss my big Cutco chef's knife, actually all my Cutco. While we were packing I found a set of Kershaw knifes that I was given by an ex-boyfriend. I thought they'd be great for the sailboat - it's one handle in a case with various blades that can be attached.

Strangely I've got 2 sets of those stupid knives that Omaha Steaks sends out as "freebies" that really aren't too bad. Light as heck, sharp, and we keep them in the picnic basket - along with a little cutting board.

Someplace, I'm sure packed in storage, I've go a beautiful fillet knife that I got at a ships chandlery - it's the kind commercial fishermen use. I've also got a couple of huge carbon steel chef's knives with no name. They're way to big for me - but Bob likes them. I also have a couple little $1.00 paring knives from Pampered Chef - geeeeze these little demons are sharp.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Have some Henckels, Wusthoff and yes, some Friedrich Dick knives... thinking about getting a MAC Santoku - anyone used MACs? supposed to be pretty good...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #57
Master Chef

MAC is on my list to get next time I have money to spend on a knife.

In the mean time, I voted for Wusthof knives mostly because that is what I have. Of course, I did do a lot of research before I got them. Well, the fact that my neighbor worked for the distributor and I got them for the whole sale price also played the role. I have 11 knives. Tomato knife was definitely a waste of money, Santoku I have weird relation with that knife. I either get into hating mood and do not use it for month or I fall in love all over and that is the only knife I use then. Also, I practically never use the boning knife as I have a commercial Dexter Russell quality knife that is much thinner and is simply better knife to use to filet meat or fish. Of course, here I have to add that I never use fish knife on meat or vise versa. This means that I have couple of those knives.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #58
Master Chef

wusthof. well-balanced knife. i have a classic 5" santoku with a full tang. excellent $80 i submitted. (usually $100, got my knife during a sale).
Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #59
Cook

WHAT! No Ginsu users here!

I would love a Wusthof, but I think it would be kind of a waste for a home cook. There is just me and "Old What's Her Name" so how much knife work am I going to do.

I have a nice 10" Vitorinox Fibrox Chef knife and a 6" everthing by them also. My boning knife came from a butcher friend. I don't know what or who made that but it is a real good knife.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #60
Senior Cook

now i have been looking at the Misonos, Hattoris and MACs... they all look exceptional knives... i am kind of weary of the Misonos since they are sharpened differently, with emphasis on one side of the blade, but they were rated as #1 choice in a poll for professional chefs taken by Food & Wine...