Favorite Knife or Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow!! Thanks ChocolateChef for that pic. So if i take a pic of my knife do one of you Smart Chefs out there think you might be able to tell me what kind of knife it is? Name, age etc? Gosh that would be so exciting!! Hahahaha:LOL: Actually it looks like the third one from the right. But it has a straight handle. If you think you can let me know and ill post a pic of it here!:chef: :) :chef:

Ok i hope this works! Can anybody tell me anything about my knife?

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 308
i have a set of Kai Wasabi japanese knives they are awesome.

by the way, nice shun, Mr. Dove

Heat, I wish I could. Hopefully this will bump it up so someone can help you out. I don't have much knowledge on type of knives. Several year ago my boyfriend bought me a set of cutco knives. They were pretty expensive, but anytime I need them reshrpened all I need to do is send them in and cutco resharpens them for me. My grandmother and mother also have cutco knives so I don't have any hand me downs other than that brand.

Mr_Dove said:
Here's a pic of mine. LOVE it.

img56l.jpg

that's a beautiful knife.
i've been searching for which ones(s) i want for my new place but can't decide yet.
i have my eye on a henckels set but i'm not so sure i like the look of the handles. they're not very pretty.
right now i just use my Dad's knives; he has about a million of them, lol. all different brands.

I have a beautifully ballanced chef's knife forged in Crisfield MD at a now gone forever local cutlery manufacturer. I also have a set from Macy's which is really very fine, and a sale item at the time. As soon as all the pots and pans are collected :LOL: I may turn to German knives for solace.

And I still love my Croma 10 inch chef's knife designed by F.A Porsche. Aafter a good year and a half of everday, and I do mean everyday, use, I finally had to spend about 5 minutes or so with a fine-grit wet-stone, and then 10 strokes per side on a good steel to make it razor-sharp again. And it still does an amazing job for me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have an obsessive love for my Ulu knife. I purchased it in Alaska, and it works like a charm.

For those who don't know what an ulu knife is; It's basically a curved rocker blade on a handle. You can wrap your hand completely around the handle and have a sharp, curved blade jutting out from your knuckles, like an evil version of brass knuckles. It also comes with a heavy-duty wooden cutting bowl.

With this thing, I can cut onions, tomatoes, peppers, anything, in seconds, often before I have a chance to cry! It's great because of the amount of curries I make.

Whenever I'm at work, I pine for this thing. They hand me a dull old costco-knockoff, and expect me to chop onions, peppers, ham, pepperoni, all that stuff with this, and to do it FAST. Most of my time is spent separating the cut pieces with my hands, AFTER cutting it! I think it would be put to better use threatening my manager for a better knife.

Ah - the Ulu - the Eskimo version of the Italian Mezzaluna. I can see where it would perhaps be an advantage for an Eskimo skinning a walrus or something (I have a skinning knife I only use when hunting which would have absolutely no good purpose in the kitchen) ... but not a great advantage in chopping vegetables.

I think you identified your real problem ... "a dull old costco-knockoff". Nobody can be efficient with any kind of a dull knife. You could have a dozen Ulu's at hand but if they were dull, could you really do any better?

I would press the boss for something to sharpen the knives you have to work with.

My 20cm Füri (Australian Brand http://www.furitechnics.com.au/) Chefs Knife. It was a toss up between this or a 20cm Global Chefs Knife, I chose the Furi because I like a bit of weight in my main knife and the handle is so comfortable in my hand. I find Global knife handles to be too thin, I could see it becoming uncomfortable with any large amount of kitchen work.

However I will probably get a 6"-8" Global paring/utility knife as the handle is much less of an issue.

Michael in FtW said:
Items concerning KNIVES

Talking about knives in this much detail is starting to make me feel sort of criminal. :ermm: It's like when I talk about fire for lengths of time.

The Ulu for me seems to do a number on vegetables of the round variety especially. Of course, I only use it if uniformity isn't an issue; say, stir fries, vegetable curries, mixes, etc. It's a wicked sharp knife, clean cut. I can sharpen the **** out of my utility and it still won't cut as well as this thing seems to. That's probably because of its original purposes as a skinner, boner, and cuber of big ol' mammals and fish. I guess it's just, for me, a fast way to get something into ickle wee pieces.

Though, I have poor knife skills, since I was never taught to use one, I just learnt myself to cut, as my father before me did. So there's a sort of "style" we have, which is dissimilar to the curled-knuckles style of the accomplished cook. I have trouble with that. Maybe it hasn't been explained to me well.

As for getting anything sharpened in my backroom; I wish. I'd have to bring in my own sharpener, and somehow find enough time to sharpen the knife. It's a cheap little rinky-dink pizza place in a larger chain, and my job doesn't revolve around cutting so much as other prep, so I get neglected. Though I do get all the cool stainless-steel counters!

Why am I so long-winded?

Brawnfire said:
Why am I so long-winded?

You're not! :LOL:

We all have our favorite knives - the ones we can handle best, feel best in our hands, and give us confidence in using them. Just look at all the other opinions on this subject in here - and the passion everyone has about their favorite!

I think most of us learned our knife skills at home ... and on our own in many cases. Learning how to keep your fingers curled under is something you learn with practice ... and every time you cut something can be a practice session. I didn't grow up doing it that way and it took me time to get used to it. But, the practice and patience did have the reward of not having to pick fingernail trimmings and bits of finger tips out of the food I was chopping. :wacko:

The 1st knife I reach for when chopping, dicing, or slicing is a 14" chef's knife made by Gustav Emil Ern in the early 1900's.

My all time favorite knife (though it see's little use), is a 9" carving knife made by E.S. Hulbert & Co. From what I can tell it most likely dates to the mid 1860's. Warrented shear steel is stamped on one side. Half tang through construction, set in the one piece handle with 4 offset pins, with a lead pewter bolster which is inlayed partly into the handle.

I use to collect, the pride of my collection was a full set on Wm. Beatty butchers cleavers, from #00 which was a poultry cleaver with an 8" blade 12" overall, to the #9 beef spliter with its 16" blade and 32" overall.

Anthony

after much looking, asking, talking, trying, comparing, handling, chopping dicing fileting etc, I have gone with New West KnifeWorks. Not only are they beautiful and very fine, but come with a guarantee and service promise that makes them unique. I have been completely satisfied with the performance. These are incredibly sharp and well ballanced tools.

My favorite knife is a 6" J. Marttiinin fillet knife.
img_346940_0_fac935bb000ae09c4c388c07736cb238.gif

My dad gave it to me 46 years ago. After it spent 40 years in a tackle box, I hung it in its scabbard above the knife block. Others knives are used more often but it is the sharpest and most satisfying.

These pictures aren't my knife but the exact same knive and scabbard selling today on this site.

Last edited:
Caine said:
Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife.

I finally made an executive decision (pun intended) and ordered a new set of knives: GUNTER WILHELM EXECUTIVE CHEF SERIES, which includes a 10-inch Chef Knife, an 8-inch Chef knife, an 8-inch Bread Knife, an 8-inch Carving Knife, a Paring Knife, a Utility Knife, a Meat Cleaver, an Asian Cleaver, a Meat Fork, a Sharpening Steel, and a wooden block.

So, although I can no longer claim to have a 10-inch Dick, I do have a 10-inch Willie! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom