"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
The two that I mostly always use are a 10" Henckles Professional-S Chef's Knife and a 7" Henckles Twin Select Santoku knife.

I've tried Global but I don't like them as much because their knive's edges are one sided.

Besides, knives in a sense, are overrated. You can give someone the sharpest and best knife in the world but that still won't make them a good cook/chef.
__________________

__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_the_chef
Sabatier?! I've always heard those were really good knives.
Sabateir knives WERE very good when they were manufactured in France. In fact, Le Cordon Bleu used to give a set to each graduating student. They are no longer manufactured in France, and now have a very bad reputation, specifically that they are not very sharp to begin with, and do not hold an edge when resharpened.

Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife. I have considered replacing it, but they are quite expensive. The only satisfaction I have left is that I can tell everyone that, even though my girlfriend decided to leave, she just HAD to take my Dick with her
__________________

__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
 
choclatechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Sabateir knives WERE very good when they were manufactured in France. In fact, Le Cordon Bleu used to give a set to each graduating student. They are no longer manufactured in France, and now have a very bad reputation, specifically that they are not very sharp to begin with, and do not hold an edge when resharpened.

Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife. I have considered replacing it, but they are quite expensive. The only satisfaction I have left is that I can tell everyone that, even though my girlfriend decided to leave, she just HAD to take my Dick with her


ITA, about the new Sabatier knives. That is why I collect the vintage ones!

I just bought a set of F. Dick knives for use at the Boys and Girls Club.
__________________
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #14
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 88
Okay so there not manufactured as well now? What a bummer. I was just going on what people said in the past about ten or twenty years ago lol, I had no idea they werent that good anymore, my mistake. Anyway these F. dick knives sound pretty cool. I might just pick one up in the future.

Adios.
__________________
"You should kiss every batch of bread you make, because it's the only way to spread the love around." - Jamie Oliver

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
 
choclatechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_the_chef
Okay so there not manufactured as well now? What a bummer. I was just going on what people said in the past about ten or twenty years ago lol, I had no idea they werent that good anymore, my mistake. Anyway these F. dick knives sound pretty cool. I might just pick one up in the future.

Adios.
What it has to do with in the use of recycled steel in the knives.

Most other knife brands use recycled steel also, so most of the brands out there have experienced a quality deterioriation imho.
__________________
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
SpiceUmUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The bustling metropolis of Butler NJ
Posts: 276
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Careful with Sabatier, several companies have the right to use the name and the quality varies considrably. This is from the website www.sabatier.com :"

First of all it must be pointed out that no SABATIER company owns "THE" Sabatier brand. The SABATIER brand is ancient and appeared at a time well before the first French legislation concerning intellectual property rights. For historical reasons several companies registered the SABATIER brand in France. This is true of the SABATIER DIAMANT company, that makes its knives in the heart of the French cutlery region.

Back at the beginning, when the brand name SABATIER was registered in France, it had to be accompanied by a word or traditional image, and our company registered the name SABATIER accompanied by a diamond. Outside France the situation concerning the SABATIER brand is far less complicated, but that is by no means a guarantee of quality.

As things stand, a large number of knives bear the name "SABATIER", it is even possible to find knives marked "SABATIER" which are made in China, and this is the case notably in the United States.

The only way for you to be sure of buying a genuine top quality SABATIER knife is to steer clear of those produced in the Far East and, out of the various other SABATIER ranges, to chose the word or image that corresponds the best to the quality level you want.

If the brand name "SABATIER" marked on the blade of your knife is accompanied by a diamond, you will be sure that your knife was indeed manufactured in France, according to traditional methods and respecting the quality criteria that make the SABATIER a "gold standard" knife. "
__________________
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 88
Never knew that.

Cool spice, very informative.
__________________
"You should kiss every batch of bread you make, because it's the only way to spread the love around." - Jamie Oliver

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #18
 
choclatechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
The only way for you to be sure of buying a genuine top quality SABATIER knife is to steer clear of those produced in the Far East and, out of the various other SABATIER ranges, to chose the word or image that corresponds the best to the quality level you want.

If the brand name "SABATIER" marked on the blade of your knife is accompanied by a diamond, you will be sure that your knife was indeed manufactured in France, according to traditional methods and respecting the quality criteria that make the SABATIER a "gold standard" knife. "
That is why I carefully scrutinize Sabatier vintage knives before I buy them. 90% of my knives are the diamond marked ones.

The other knives are excellent quality knives whose markings are gone with the wear of time. You have to have the knowledge [information] and the experience to recognize a bargain on top quality equipment of any type. You need to train yourself in every way to avoid being taken.
__________________
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #19
Sous Chef
 
Lugaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Body: Boston Heart: Mexico
Posts: 857
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I love my Henkels 8", my heavy cleaver and there's a nice japanese sushi knife that the new roomie brought with him which I love using for making thin slivers of things.
__________________
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
THE CONNOISSEURS
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,129
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
My favorite is the Global Chef's Knife, 8". This thing floats in my hand. Wicked sharp. Some people really don't like the way it feels though.


Link
I almost bought that knife.. but sadly... I can't really afford to go around buying fancy new cookware or knives. I use a generic brand chef's knife, and I don't really like it, but I suppose it gets the job done. The utility knife I keep around is great though. My stepmom's ex used to own a restaraunt, and after he closed it down he had a lot of un-opened supplies, so he gave a bunch to us. We've got like 6 of those utility knives back at home.
__________________

__________________
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.