Favorite knife steels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
My favorites are (in order) carbon steel, Japanese VG-10, American S35.

Carbon steel will rust if you are not careful and will tarnish no matter what you do, but for taking an edge and holding it, I think it has not yet been surpassed. However, there are some stainless steels that are coming up fast. think the VG-10 easily takes a great edge but doesn't hold it quite so long as S35. It also costs less.

For carbon steel, I like the Tosagata knives from japanwoodworker.com. Relatively inexpensive and very traditional.

For VG-10 I like the Shun line, but there are others available.

For S35 I like the ones from NewWestKnifeWorks .com, but they are expensive.

I sharpen my own knives, about twice a year. I maintain them with a ceramic honing rod between uses.

I have no idea what steel my knives (Henckels Pro S) are made with other than that they are stainless. I sharpen them when I notice they're not sharp (I use a Lansky Deluxe 5 Stone System). A good sharpening seems to last quite a while. I have a steel I apply to the blades after every use.

Don't know what stainless formulation my Wusthof Classics are, but they take a good edge and hold it well with regular application of a ceramic hone.

I sharpen any of my knives when needed with a Chef's Choice 3 stage electric sharpener, but I've never had to use the first stage on anything but the severely abused knives (Chicago Cutlery) I got from my mother's kitchen after she passed away.

Back
Top Bottom