"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

first knife

What should I look out for in a good first knife? I have been given a set of kitchen devil knives, is this a good make? Does the make of knives make much difference?

Sorry for the noob questions lol

Nick

Old 10-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick85
What should I look out for in a good first knife? I have been given a set of kitchen devil knives, is this a good make? Does the make of knives make much difference?

Sorry for the noob questions lol

Nick
Different strokes for different folks! Have a look around the knife forum, Nick, there's lots of good info here!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

Different strokes for different folks! Have a look around the knife forum, Nick, there's lots of good info here!
Will do, I'm at a conference all week so can only get online/app on my phone. Just takes a while when I get chance to look.

Nick
Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Master Chef

Don't apologize for questions, it is what we're here for, sharing of information. Yes, the make is a lot of difference. To me it is better to pay more and have one or two knives than pay the same for a big set. Except paring knives. I like to have lots of them because I use them for everything. But my "big" knives are Henkels and I really like them. As Dawg said, there is a forum for this. Go there and you'll find more info than you actually want to read!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Master Chef

I went to look for it, so it is cooking forums then cooking accessories, then knives. I haven't looked it up in awhile because when you fully equip your kitchen, and spend the bucks on good stuff, but less of it, it lasts for eternity (not kidding!).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Buy something mid-priced like a Victorinox. Very good knives that don't bankrupt you. Most really expensive knives are completely unnecessary for the home chef.