"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

First Knife Buy

Hi everyone and to anyone who answers, thanks in advance!

I have just begun the process of trying to decide on my first real knife purchase.
I have read through probably 10 hours of forums and reviews.

My first knife purchase was actually a few years ago. A friend of mine works at the cutco factory and I bough some knives from him at 70 percent off and I thought they were okay but not great.

The essentials I really want are:

8" Chef Knife
7" Santoku

3-4" Pairing Knife
6" Utility
6" Utility serrated -- I like having an okay utility for when someone else wants to cook in my kitchen!

Cheese Knife (most people may find these useless but I for the life of me can't cut cheese without a cheese knife)

I have looked at:
wusthof
Zwilling
Shun
Global
MAC

but I just not sure what to do! Price range is about 150
per knife probably

on a side: I am from canada so if they're are any other canadians out there who no fo good places to get from in toronto or online without crazy shipping costs please let me know!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

Take a look at the Tojiro DP. A lot of knife for the money. The best deals I have found is at either Chef's Knives to Go and Cutlery and More. Had good luck with both of these vendors.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Head Chef

+1. Hard to go wrong with the Tojiro. Fit and finish is generally good and they have a nice factory edge.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Here is another vote for Tojiro. I started with Wustof which I liked and still like. My next step up was Tojiro and it was a great step up. I have moved up from there, but have never lost my love for my Tojiro. They are reasonably priced and hold a great edge.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Will definitely look into Tojiro/Have spent the last 10 hours looking at Tojiro stuff -- its a bad addiction to start having!

Just a couple questions:

They have a very sharp edge, cut to I think 16 degrees.
What are they like to sharpen? Which waterstone do you recommend?

I'm not sure if I would want to get them sharpened as the only sharpening places I know in Canada probably don't have much experience with Japanese knives.

What are these like compared to the Shun classic?

The shuns are a bit more expensive but they seem to have a much better warranty service. The extra added comfort is always nice.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Head Chef

Tojiro and Shun are both VG 10 clad steel, and would sharpen the same. I think the angles are similar, although I am not sure. Shun is clad in 16 layers each side with the VG 10 core (called Damascus), Tojiro DP has one layer each side. IMO, the difference is mainly cosmetic. I have my knives sharpened by a pro. Rob, Buzzard, and others could tell you more about sharpening.

The Tojiros I bought at Christmas arrived extremely sharp. I have not had them resharpened. I don't think there would be much difference in difficulty of sharpening of any of the clad VG 10 knives.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Do yourself a favor and get an Edgepro Apex sharpening system. It is expensive, but worth it if you want to keep your knives sharp.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hey all again.

Still trying to finalize order. I really want to get the tojiro DP set but I'm a little bit nervous about the lack of warranty.

Is it worth it to get something a bit pricier (ala Shun or something else you recommend) to get the lifetime warranty for those just in case situations?

thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Personally, I would go with the Tojiro and not worry about the warranty. They make a quality product. You won't have any issues with them. It all depends on your comfort level though. If not having a lifetime warranty is going to bother you then you need to consider that.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Head Chef

Not sure about the warranty. Cutlery and More advertises a lifetime warranty on the Tojiro. I would guess this is factory warranty. As I understand it, the Shun does offer free lifetime sharpening. I don't know the quality of their sharpening.

I think it comes down to whether you want the damascus finish or not. Either knife will perform equally in the kitchen. I don't own Shuns, but my knives (Kanetsune) are similar in steel quality. Tojiro and Kanetsune perform equally for me.

Tags
knife