"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #11
Head Chef

Wow, I didn't know Ice Bear made knives! I've only seen their stones.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hi Guys,

So Ive scoured Sydney and (eventually) found a retailer who carries the Shun Elite knife. I took a trip out there today to handle it. Sadly, I was underwhelmed. The most significant issue, which scratches it from my list, is the way the blade connects to the handle. The steel there is sufficiently wide that its uncomfortable on my 2nd finger when I grip the knife.

So it narrows my list... The plan is to go back to the original knife shop, and handle the other knives on my short list (including the Shun Classic).

TheNoodleIncident:
Thanks for the Wusthof/Shun comparison. A friend recently pointed out that the furi is made in a german-style way, so to get better diversity, I'm better off going for a Japanese knife.
I do use a pinch grip.

Rob Babcock:
Yeah, the Ice Bear ones were quite nice. I'll definately handle them again when I go back out looking...

-Andrew

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Senior Cook

well, enjoy whichever knife you decide to buy! take good care of it, and sharpen it well, and you will get many fun years out of it
Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

we bought our first Shun Knife these days.. the big Santoku and the Cfes knife will be the next for christmas..
We'd already fallen in love with this one and even if I can't tell you anything about Furi I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Shun.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hi All,

After everyone's advice, I picked up the Shun 10 inch chefs knife. Now that Ive had it for a number of weeks, I can give my impression/feedback.

In my opinion, the higher price point of the Shun over the Furi is well justified. The Shun is a really nice knife to use. The comments about it being "crazy sharp" are accurate. It does take some care though - I always wash and dry the knife after each use. A gentle brush against the sharp edge resulted in a little blood.

I was originally going for an 8 inch, but the salesman convinced me to get the 10. I dont regret it. With a pinch-grip, the size is large, but for most tasks, its the right size.

I'll be keeping the Furi knives I have. I'm a little too cautious around the Shun to bash it around - and this is where the Furi will come in.

I'm sufficiently happy with the Shun to say that I would recommend anyone thinking of stepping up to this price point of knife, should consider the Shun.
My only word of caution is that the curve of the belly of the Shun might not be for everyone - make sure you check it out first.

Cheers,
Andrew

And a photo of my knife:
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Good choice on your shun... for me 10in blades are awkward to cut with, I have had an 8in classic for a couple years now and I love it. Im considering stepping up to the elite when I get some cash.

As far as sharpening it check this and this out..
Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Wow, I didn't know Ice Bear made knives! I've only seen their stones.
Ice Bear don't actually make anything. They subcontract out and then put their brand on the final product. It is a superior product and I'd have no issues with buying another Ice Bear knife, same way as I'd happily buy another E H Dehillerin knife.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Senior Cook

you really want to be careful with any electric sharpener...they are def convenient, but tend to remove too much material, create too much heat and only leave you with a semi-sharp edge (compared to what it could be, at least)....also tend to scratch up the sides, which may not affect performance , but why scratch up your nice new knife? it may be better than not sharpening at all, but there are much better options and you won't realize how much you are missing out...best option is using stones, but you also have the option of sending them back to shun for a free sharpening

i know one of those was made by shun, but you still need to be cautious...just like the sharpening steel they include in the sets (do NOT use that thing), it's just something they sell so they have an answer when the masses ask "how do i sharpen these?"
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

funny you brought that back... ;o)

we bought #3 today.. the utility knife for everythin in between Santoku and little Chef ;o)

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote