Getting Cut!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)Ive got a few good stories involving kitchen mishaps and not all are by me. Maybe we should start a thread on kitchen accidents for those who aren't faint hearted.It would be a good one because there you could learn what not to do or do so not to get hurt.

:)Ive got a few good stories involving kitchen mishaps and not all are by me. Maybe we should start a thread on kitchen accidents for those who aren't faint hearted.It would be a good one because there you could learn what not to do or do so not to get hurt.

That’s pretty good idea. I remember way back when learning to cook I spilled some vegetable oil on a hot electric burner on the stove top. It caught on fire in a big way. I remembered hearing about smothering it with something white....something everyone has in the kitchen…..SALT, yeah that's it! I poured a box of salt all over.

Big mistake…….no….not salt……BAKING POWDER, that must be it. I poured a box of that on but not much help….and then it occurred to me to use the pot lid to simply smother it. That worked like a charm. What mess that turned out to be! :ohmy:

Working with knives all day, I've been cut lots of times...but no one has ever suggested I toss the offending blade away. After all, it's not the knife's fault you got cut.

The only knife I considered getting rid of was a Tomato knife that was part of a set we received years ago as a wedding present. With those extended prongs of the knife extending out much farther than I thought, combined with me being sloppy that day, I got careless and just lopped a decent bit of flesh off the tip of my pinkie.

Now I rarely ever use that design

Why? Are you afraid you'll get careless and cut yourself again? Have you been cut free since you stopped using it?

haha... yes and yes. Though I have to admit that being cut free the past year or so is more from being more cautious after that nick.

Actually I really stopped using it because I just like my other knives better. A nice 5" serrated blade works better for me than the Calphalon Tomato/Bagel knife I cut myself with.

21TFR24V2ZL._SS400_.jpg

I never understood the whole concept of a tomato knife. Anything I need to do with a tomato I can do with a chefs knife or parer.

I am more of a getting burned girl than getting cut, but being the accident prone person I am (which could mean careless) I have had both happen more than once. I didn't blame the knife or the oven though.

I use my tomato knife all the time - to slice bagels and english muffins. It's really just a mini bread knife. Of course, it doesn't have the forked tongue at the end of it.

First few days at college i cut myself to pieces lol

Im ok now though - i just wernt used to using sharp knives :LOL:

I was stabbed at work yesterday, but that dont count i guess? :ohmy:

I've never given myself anything more than a surface cut (never drawn blood), but I attribute a lot of that to being a boy scout (not by choice) and learning knife skills very early on. I never burn myself either, except an occasional grease spatter. I'm amazingly gifted at giving myself a face full of steam though.

I have never had a serious cut, but do seem to burn myself often enough. My bad habit is to reach into the over to stir something instead of pull the rack out so that I can easily get to whatever it is. Not very smart, and I have the scars to prove it.

I am both a burn and cut victim.

In 2005 I chopped off a chunk of my index finger and nail. I needed 7 stitches to get it back on. Now it doesn't have much feeling in it..almost as if I dipped it wax.

A few weeks ago I managed to get the other side of that same finger..but just nicked the nail that time.

I only cut/burn myself when I get tired or careless.

It's also really easy to burn yourself when there's four people on the line, and you're rockin'-and-rollin' trying to get tickets out. If your situational awareness isn't that good, you might not realize that the pan of scallops/salmon on the counter just came out of the 500 degree oven, and even the handle is scorching hot. Not to mention that once the pan is moved, the stainless steel counter-top is also hot. Any time you see a double plate (one top of the other), ALWAYS assume the top plate is HOT!

And dont you love it when a coworker tosses a hot pan in the spot that's only meant to have clean cold pans?

I've gotten to the point that a 9" pair of tongs is like a third hand. I can grab all sorts of things with it.

With tongs in the right hand and a clean dry towel in the left, one can accomplish anything!

I'm in the burn unit all the time!!! Not so much prone to cutting myself than gettin burned, be it by grease, by hot pan, oven, you name it. I was even dumb enough to pick up a fork out of a hot pan and licked it..... oooooohhhh yea.... I could hear the sizzle!!!! Needless to say, ice cubes became my friend that night!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom