"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 10-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #31
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I never understood the whole concept of a tomato knife.
The serrated blade helps cut through the skin. The forked tip is for picking up slices.

Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
Funny... the above works great for Tomatoes AND pinkie finger tips!

Arm yourself because no-one else here will save you
The odds will betray you, and I will replace you.

Always with Courage, Ever with Honor.
Pensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #33
Senior Cook
I am more of a getting burned girl than getting cut, but being the accident prone person I am (which could mean careless) I have had both happen more than once. I didn't blame the knife or the oven though.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef
I use my tomato knife all the time - to slice bagels and english muffins. It's really just a mini bread knife. Of course, it doesn't have the forked tongue at the end of it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
First few days at college i cut myself to pieces lol

Im ok now though - i just wernt used to using sharp knives

I was stabbed at work yesterday, but that dont count i guess?
chef_william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #36
Assistant Cook
I've never given myself anything more than a surface cut (never drawn blood), but I attribute a lot of that to being a boy scout (not by choice) and learning knife skills very early on. I never burn myself either, except an occasional grease spatter. I'm amazingly gifted at giving myself a face full of steam though.
nathanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #37
Head Chef
I have never had a serious cut, but do seem to burn myself often enough. My bad habit is to reach into the over to stir something instead of pull the rack out so that I can easily get to whatever it is. Not very smart, and I have the scars to prove it.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #38
Head Chef
I am both a burn and cut victim.

In 2005 I chopped off a chunk of my index finger and nail. I needed 7 stitches to get it back on. Now it doesn't have much feeling in it..almost as if I dipped it wax.

A few weeks ago I managed to get the other side of that same finger..but just nicked the nail that time.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #39
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post

I only cut/burn myself when I get tired or careless.

It's also really easy to burn yourself when there's four people on the line, and you're rockin'-and-rollin' trying to get tickets out. If your situational awareness isn't that good, you might not realize that the pan of scallops/salmon on the counter just came out of the 500 degree oven, and even the handle is scorching hot. Not to mention that once the pan is moved, the stainless steel counter-top is also hot. Any time you see a double plate (one top of the other), ALWAYS assume the top plate is HOT!
And dont you love it when a coworker tosses a hot pan in the spot that's only meant to have clean cold pans?

Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I've gotten to the point that a 9" pair of tongs is like a third hand. I can grab all sorts of things with it.
With tongs in the right hand and a clean dry towel in the left, one can accomplish anything!
Witchlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #40
Master Chef
I'm in the burn unit all the time!!! Not so much prone to cutting myself than gettin burned, be it by grease, by hot pan, oven, you name it. I was even dumb enough to pick up a fork out of a hot pan and licked it..... oooooohhhh yea.... I could hear the sizzle!!!! Needless to say, ice cubes became my friend that night!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote