Getting Cut!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I managed to cut the entire fingernail off my left index finger while dicing onions, and never drew a drop of blood. But, man, was the skin underneath that fingernail sensitive!

Bought a cheapie new knife. Works great and I love the knife. HOWEVER ...
I got distracted twice ... I was cutting one day and cut my finger, nice good slice on the tip of the finger .. didn't need stitches, but boy did it hurt, and I couldn't believe how much it bled. Two day later, I cut it in the EXACT same place. You can't say I'm not consistent.

If i ever get attacked by my knife, its the tiniest thing and because I was being rough or taking major shortcuts *TOUCH WOOD* - i fall into the "burnt" peoples category

I wouldn't get rid of my knife because of it, but i might give it some extra TLC when i wash it so its nice to me next time LOL jokes

I think its the speed all you chef`s go, you have more important things to do or on your mind. now for me I am not a chef or have thos expensive chefs knives. I am just a plain
old man with all the time in the world, I don`t know or remember the last time I cut myself or burned myself. and I probably don`t do the volume that you do. But I can see
where you are all comming from. And I can appriciate your job.

funny thing is, I cut myself more often and more severely when i was a waiter polishing wine glasses, Never burned myself on a wine glass though

So far I've only cut into my fingernails, just knicked the finger once. (knock on wood!). Always the same knife, but it's my favorite and usually when cuting onions and I'm trying to hurry 'cause I can't see what I'm doing anymore!
For some reason onions don't bother me when I wear my contacts. If I have my glasses on.... forget about it!! I've learned to go put the contacts in before I need to deal with more than 1 onion.
:ohmy: Wow, I went to some place far far away off subject there. Sorry!

I have to revise my answer now. I cut myself for the first time tonight. I was doing a julienne on a red pepper, using a knife I normally don't use (I had it sharpened last week and wanted to check the edge). Took off a couple layers of skin. No blood. That's a quality sharpening job there.

When I was seventeen right out of high school I worked at a loveless turkey plant, where
one of my jobs was folding cardboard boxes to place the turkey`s in, and I learned alot
about papercuts, they cut like a razor, and they hurt the worst, because they cut so
slick they cut the fibers of your skin so clean and that is the reason it hurts so bad and
it takes longer for you wound to heal.

I've been lucky that I've managed not to cut myself too much, but I have gotten some nasty cuts from a butter knife. It was a really cheap one from one of those cheap basic kitchen sets--my first cut from those things was from trying to get them out of the packaging! :angry: Thankfully we've acquired some better butter knives and I only use the cheap ones if there aren't any other clean ones.

Just read all six pages of posts. The only thing that I can add is that I try to precut as much as I can. If it can be done the night before or set up prior to the pan going hot I'll do that. The thing that rushes me is when I lose focus. MDW and I even switch off so if I am at the stove she will prep. It is when one of us tried to do everything fast that an accident has happend. Thank God nothing serious. Guess you could say we try to cut all the ingredients before we start to cook not while we cook. That way we enjoy cooking with wine.

When I was seventeen right out of high school I worked at a loveless turkey plant, where
one of my jobs was folding cardboard boxes to place the turkey`s in, and I learned alot
about papercuts, they cut like a razor, and they hurt the worst, because they cut so
slick they cut the fibers of your skin so clean and that is the reason it hurts so bad and
it takes longer for you wound to heal.

Oh man, I feel your pain. I used to work in a shipping department. Papercuts, cardboard papercuts, and cuts from packing staples--some of the worst things ever.

I seem to go in cycles- for months at a time I'll work with my knife for many hours daily without so much as a scratch. Then I might get bit several times in one week. Luckily it's been a long time since I've seriously cut myself. I got a pretty good cut my first week as Sous Chef at my last job. The last time I needed to go to the ER was when I was Exec Chef at a hotel in Sioux Falls, about 10 years ago.

Lately my lil' Messermeister birds-beak peeler seems to have it in for me!:ROFLMAO: Quite a few nicks and scratches, but nothing serious.

I used to get a lot of teasing in Cairo because all of my friends could tell when the knife sharpening man had come round and sharpened all of my knives and scissors---I had bandaids on every finger as the knives were super sharp!!! I paid him to come to my house once a month and literally he carried an old-fashioned sharpening wheel on his back (from ancient Egyptian times!) I miss Achmed!!

Back
Top Bottom