"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Getting Cut!

how often do you get Cut?

I`ve been cut twice now with the same knife, now I`ve had the knife for quite a while and it`s basically the only knife I use daily.
my Mother keeps telling me to get rid of it! (one incident put me in hospital).

I`de like to know who has been cut with "Their Knife" a few times, as we all have our personal favorite blades.

did you ever get told to get rid of it, did you even think this yourself?

I`m More Than sure i`m not the 1`st or last to have done and been told this, I want to hear about YOU and Your experiences.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have a friend who used to say there are two kinds of cooks. Those who get cut and those who get burned. I am one of the lucky ones to fall into both categories.

I think of getting rid of my knife because it has never been the knifes fault that I have cut myself. Every single cut I have gotten has been because I have been careless. Luckily it does not happen often and it has never been serious.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

John I ususally come down on the side of "it's not the fiddle, it's the fiddler"! I did have a little 6" chefs knife one time, that just seemed to want to cut me. After two, not so serious ones and several near misses, I tossed it! So far so good. No more cuts

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You need to pay more attention to wht you are doing, but also, you need to keep your knives razor sharp. You are far more likely to get seriously cut by a dull knife, because you have to push harder to get it to do its job. this means if it's attacking your finger, it's more likely to do more damage.

The only times I've ever been cut seriously I was looking up and talking to a customer while I was cutting. Silly me! Thank goodness the knife was extremely sharp. and there was an emergency room nearby!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
DC's Angel

YT,

Your knife is possessed. You need to take it to an exorcist.

Do not leave it in an unlocked drawer at night.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I never get cut and I'm the one who does most, if not all, of the cutting/mincing/chopping here. But, as ChefJune said, I keep my knives ultra sharp. They practically glide through even the toughest/densest foods.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

My youngest daughter always says, "it's not meal until Mom slices her finger."
I am actually doing a lot better since I learned from watching Food TV how to tuck my fingers under when I slice. I still do it, though. The other night when I was seeding avacados, I whacked the pit with my chef's knife and it slipped off the seed and right through the peel, cutting my thumb.
One night, when we had guests, I was chopping lettuce on a cutting board and sliced off a piece of my thumb. Here was this little piece of meat on the cutting board, my thumb spurting like a fountain, and we were all too trashed to drive to the hospital. Fortunately, the gal was a surgical nurse, which helped, but no one could find the heavy-duty bandages that I had stashed someplace. They were all searching every cabinet and drawer, as she repeatedly reminded me to "Hold your hand above your head!" and "Keep the pressure on it!"
She would have sewn it up, but there was nothing to sew...just a missing piece. I ended up with a bandage made of Bounty paper towels (very absorbant) and duct tape.

I burn myself, too. One evening, I absent-mindedly laid my hand on a burner that I'd just turned off to see if it was cool enough to set a plastic bowl on. When I jerked my hand off, I had the shape of the burner branded on my palm. Duh! I immediately put it on ice, while DH cut some aloe. I doctored it with the aloe and kept the ice on it for several hours, and did not have so much as a blister the next morning.
I also picked up my hot curling iron by the wrong end one day.

I make some dandy messes, too...like dropping a whole pan of hot grease on the kitchen floor. Or putting out a grease fire on the electric stove by turning a pan of boiling potatoes over it. My dad about went bellistic over that one.

So, for those of you who think you are clumsy in the kitchen...Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

I sacrifice friends to the Case XX 8-400.

Seriously, it has twice cut friends who were warned that it was sharp,
but played with it anyway.

Although I did come close the other night. I caught the blade with my
index fingernail. No blood, but close.

I tend to make more mess than blood in the kitchen, thank goodness!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm of like mind with gb; every time i've cut myself i was being careless. usually trying to hurry, often when trying to do too many things at once.

i've never had any serious cuts from a knife, but i am surprised that i still have 10 fingerprints considering how many times i've sliced off the tips or edges.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm in the same boat as GB and BT. I cut myself when I'm careless. I burn myself for the same reason. What other reason is there? We are not stupid. We know stuff is hot and knives are sharp. Unless you are into pain, carelessness is the only reason you get cut or burned.

BTW, I don't buy into the "dull knives are more dangerous" maxim. I cut myself with equal facility whether the knife is sharp or dull. Knives dull slowly over time. As they dull, you accommodate your movements to deal with that.