Getting new knives as a gift, curious about the steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Count Omulis

Assistant Cook
I am being given a set of knifes as a belated wedding gift. I am not totally sure which set I am getting, but I have found that the steel is either 7CR17MOV Stainless Steel or 3CR13 420J2. I tried to search a little about what these are, but thought I would have more luck coming here. Could someone enlighten me as to what these steels are, high and low points for each? Obviously as they are already purchased and on their way to me I cannot do much about it if they are sub-par, but I would like to at least be informed so I know how to care for them.

doing some more research (unless I am completely off base) the 7ch17mov is a stainless alloy with chromium, molybdenum and vanadium. (please correct if wrong). having no experience in metallurgy however this means little to nothing to me yet, so I will still need some enlightenment as to why good or bad. I also found that i should hope not the 420J2 steel. again, please correct if wrong.

I think you mean 7CR17MOV. Gerber and Linder seem to be the main users of it. Both are good producers.

I think you mean 7CR17MOV. Gerber and Linder seem to be the main users of it. Both are good producers.

I didn't know Gerber was still doing kitchen knives? I thought they went to exclusively hunting and utility?

I've got a Gerber Excalibur carving knife that dates back to the 50's - with its original Abercrombie & Fitch walnut case. I didn't even know A&F did anything but crappy Limited clothing until I stumbled across that knife. It's a good one, though. I used it to carve my Steak Au Poivre at the end of the episode.

Don't have a clue about the steel, sorry. What brand are the knives?

The brand is "Chef Sharp" from a site called happychefuniforms dot com. (would not let me post the actual URL) I had not heard of the brand before, and have found no other information on the brand, so I am guessing it is a site specific brand.

The fact that Gerber uses similar steel makes me feel alot better. I have had several Gerber knifes in my days as a scout, and gerber was my brand of choice.

I didn't know Gerber was still doing kitchen knives? I thought they went to exclusively hunting and utility?

I've got a Gerber Excalibur carving knife that dates back to the 50's - with its original Abercrombie & Fitch walnut case. I didn't even know A&F did anything but crappy Limited clothing until I stumbled across that knife. It's a good one, though. I used it to carve my Steak Au Poivre at the end of the episode.

This on the other hand I didnt know. I am going to have to do some searching on Gerber kitchen knifes. If for no other reason than to add to my collection. :mrgreen:

Finally received the knives. The handles are gorgeous, the blades are shiny, and when I started cutting some veggies for a taco salad it was like cutting through air. The balance is amazing, good weight, and it just feels nice to have knives at home that are worth more than a yard sale find. Unfortunately, I have not used them enough yet to know how well the edge retains, but overall I am very happy with these knives. For the price ($114 for the set and a case) I would recommend these to anybody looking for a decent set on a budget. I'm sure I will get many years use out of these.

Now that I am at 15 posts, here is the actual link to the site I got them from:
CHEFS SHARP... 10 Piece Knife Set with Case - Happy Chef Uniforms

I do have one other question, Does anybody know who this brand is actually made by? Since the catalog is a smaller web based company (unless I am totally wrong) and the knifes are this company specific, I am sure they are outsourced, I am just not sure from where.

This on the other hand I didnt know. I am going to have to do some searching on Gerber kitchen knifes. If for no other reason than to add to my collection. :mrgreen:

That's pretty much what that piece is for me. Carving knives are, by their design, pretty unruly and not very pragmatic for regular kitchen use - but there is a certain fun in the pomp and circumstance of presenting a roast and then breaking out a hardwood box with a "special" carving knife in it to carve. :LOL:

I do have one other question, Does anybody know who this brand is actually made by? Since the catalog is a smaller web based company (unless I am totally wrong) and the knifes are this company specific, I am sure they are outsourced, I am just not sure from where.

After poking around on other sites, it seems that Chef's Sharp is actually an in-house brand for Happy Chef Uniforms.

Legally, country of origin has to appear prominently somewhere on the knife if it was not produced domestically. I'd suggest examining the blade, that's usually where it's stamped.

After poking around on other sites, it seems that Chef's Sharp is actually an in-house brand for Happy Chef Uniforms.

Legally, country of origin has to appear prominently somewhere on the knife if it was not produced domestically. I'd suggest examining the blade, that's usually where it's stamped.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to until late tonight. I'm at job one for the next several hours, then from here straight to job two for the rest of the night. I'll definitely have to check it out when I get home though. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom