"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Head Chef

Geez, I don't want that on my head! You should keep one or two old ones just for the history of them, for display if for no other reason. But I just don't like bolsters. They make sharpening a pain and they interfere with the cut, especially for large items like cakes.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You asked about size not brand. 8" is a standard but many chefs use a 10". Try both sizes (check out a dept store or housewares/kitchen store with samples) to see which feels better for you. What I use is of no importance.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Thin is good. However, as Tweety would say, "I tawt I taw a finger guard." You couldn't give me one of those things.

Thanks for the push, Rob. I have a boat load of T-I Sabatiers, some WWII era, and I think I'm going to ebay them all this year. They just aren't fun anymore, even with 10* edges.
Let me know when you're offloading. Money's tight with me at the moment but I'm definitely interested.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
Let me know when you're offloading. Money's tight with me at the moment but I'm definitely interested.
I don't know when I'm going to sell them considering the state of the economy. I might put a couple of ebay feelers out there with new nogent handled Sabs manufactured out of carbon steel forged prior to WWII. They aren't quite right. I can straighten the blades no problem but the blades aren't quite aligned with the handles and I hate those funky hit and miss fitting bolster/ferrule thingies. They are easy to sharpen though. They are probably around Rockwell 55-56 like most French forgings and they take a wicked edge. I have forced patina on some of the new ones but the patina on the antiques is a natural thing of beauty.

These are WWII era with 99% blades. Fairly rare considering how old they are. Off the top of my head, 6", 9" and about 11". Notice the patina stains on the 9". I stored it in a magnetic blade protector for several months and when I removed it I darn near went into a state of shock. It was dry when I put it in but there must have been something waiting for the steel. **** that's irritating.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Buzzard,

I'm interested in getting an 11"+ blade. I've just forcibly changed jobs (Merry Christmas - you're sacked) which has put a dent in the old piggybank.

My wish list is CS blade, full bolster and wooden handle. Whilst the antique thing would be nice, it isn't high on my list as it's for a working knife.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
Buzzard,

I'm interested in getting an 11"+ blade. I've just forcibly changed jobs (Merry Christmas - you're sacked) which has put a dent in the old piggybank.

My wish list is CS blade, full bolster and wooden handle. Whilst the antique thing would be nice, it isn't high on my list as it's for a working knife.
Good timing. Look at this. It's an 11" Thiers-Issard Four Star Elephant Sabatier, carbon steel, wood handle, full bolster. It has never been used. In fact, it couldn't be used as it has never been sharpened. Somehow it slipped through the cracks in Thiers, France and ended up in my hands. It's as dull as a hammer, no bevels have ever been cut. Rare rare rare.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Sweet as!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Global 8 or 10 inch knives are both great. The factory edge sucks though. You definately have to whip out the stones and sharpen it. It depends on what you are going to use the knife to cut. If you are going to doing alot of slicing then I would recommend a 10 incher. Global knives are lightweight so a bigger knife wouldn't be overwhelming as compare to a german knife like Wusthof. This is because the Wusthof is so much heavier that doing certain jobs will feel uncomfortable.