"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Global knives

Hi im looking to buy a knife , and have been looking at the global G series. what do people think of this brand of knife ? ive been looking for quite some time , im particualy the global Santoku? don't want to buy something then feel like it was the wrong decision 2 weeks later.

thank you for your time .

Craig.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi Craig. Welcome to DC.

Check out some of the earlier threads in this Knives forum for discussions/recommendations on quality knives and the Global brand.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Head Chef

I like the feel of Globals but I don't own one. They fit me great but I haven't worked with one enough to say for sure.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
On smaller knives, as you roll chop you can feel the blade wanting to bend/twist at the tang, feels flimsy.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
My roommate owned a Global knife, 10" chef I believe, and it was wicked sharp compared to my budget one-man Henckels knife. The grip was good, but I wasn't really blown away by it. Then again, he's now an Industrial Design guru, so he might have a better idea of what's practical.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
cray-z,
I am not sure where are you located, I recommend the RH Forshner/Victorinox chef knife
It may not be the best around, but at $20 for the 8" model is the best value in knives.
MAC produces great knives IMHO better performers than Global, but at $100 plus a piece is kind of out of my budget.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have 1 Global--and I never use it. I don't like it.

Then again, I know people who think they're the greatest things ever, and hate some of my knives.

Personally? I prefer ceramics, and in terms of metal knives I like MAC (best metal knives out there, IMO), the Henckel Twin Cuisine series, the Wustof Grand Prix series, and Shun.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Moving beyond the crowd of 420-stainless knives, you will really start to get what you pay for, even if a lot of what you're paying for may be style. My theory on the matter is that $80-100 is about what you will pay to get a knife (8 inch chef's) that will perform excellently in all areas but isn't likely to get the casual observer's pulse racing or strike envy into the hearts of your contemporaries.

Personal taste does play a big role in selection as well. Globals are uniformly well-made knives, but if you don't really like yours and are never going to use it, it's a waste of money. If you can, make friends with someone who has one and will let you help chop vegetables with it. If not, go to a reputable dealer and get a feel for the knife in person. Get a feel for several brands.

Victorinox Forschners were brought up a high-quality, low-cost alternative, and that they are. My younger brother just moved into an apartment off-campus and that's what I got him for Christmas. I'm not sure how experienced you are with cooking knives, but Forschners makes an excellent entry-level knife in the world of good kitchen cutlery! The plastic handle and stamped blade may not appeal to many people, but they are well made, well heat-treated (more important than steel selection, in some cases), and almost impossibly inexpensive.