Global Knives - best place to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmitri

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

I am thinking to get some quality knives. I know Global are very good. Can you reccomend the best place to buy it. I am based in UK though.

Cheers

D

Globals also are a love 'em or hate 'em brand. I despise them because their handle technology and my hands don't match. Some chef's I've worked with have their entire knife roll full of Globals.

Go to a few knife stores and handle them first before you spend big money. I've bought a $250 knife which I ended up giving away to an apprentice because the handle/balance point were not right for me, very annoying because the blade and edge were magnificent but since the steel handle and balance point weren't things I could fix I was never using that knife.

If you're dead-set on Global then go for it, nothing really wrong with them, but as Buzz says, they're not really among the better examples of the breed. Especially for the price. I also second the JCK recommendation; I was shocked at how quickly I got my knives, especially considering they had to get from Japan to South Dakota, USA!

NOTE: Dave Martell of Japanese Knife Sharpening says that Globals are a PITA to sharpen properly due to their tendency to form a very stubborn burr. I can't confirm this myself (don't own any) but when Dave speaks I always listen.

Robster, pardon my old man memory but where are you in SD? Apologies if I have asked before.... My wonderful ex is from Clark, 32 miles West of Watertown as my better long term memory does recall.

Sioux Falls, about 90 miles south of Watertown. I worked in Watertown for a year and a half, as a matter of fact. I've never been to Clark but I have a rough idea where it's at.

Thanks for advice guys. Can you recommend other good knives for similar price?

Dmitri, as you're from UK, you'll be familiar with the Which magazine. A few years ago they tested knives and Globals were the best.

If you buy from outside the EU, remember that you could be charged 15% VAT by customs. Don't forget to allow for that in the price.

Google global knives and select pages from the UK will give you a good list of suppliers.

Don't be tempted to buy from ebay as there seem to be a lot of fakes around there.

Do you mean this Which? Magazine,? Looks like the English equivalent of Consumer Reports. "Which" makes me suspect that a bunch of guys that know nothing about knives simply gathered up a dozen brands they could find in the local kitchen shop and started chopping.;) No offense, just kidding around a bit, but I am trying to make a point. :) Do you have a link to the actual article in question?

I'm not saying don't buy Global; I'm more just saying that if you've got the money to spend there's better you could have for the same money.

Kind of like Cook's Illustrated and their yearly knife test where Forschner Fibrox always wins the gold medal. These people have no clue.

Cutlery and More lists an 8" Global Chef's for $100. JapaneseChefsKnife sells the 210mm Misono Moly for $71 and the UX10 for $160. Although either one is better than Global the UX10 would be my choice between the two. The 210mm Tojiro DP is available from Korin for only $57. This has to be the best Swedish stainless steel knife bargain to be found anywhere.

Just touching the surface because there are lots of choices. Mine would never be Global for the handles alone.....

Before you buy globals, look around this site. They ship world wide for 7 USD.

Globals are somewhat on the lower tier of Japanese knives.

I actually bought my sushi knife from this site. Unfortunatelly I bought two different knives from two different sites at the same time, being that I am terrible with paper work I do not know which one came from where. Fortunatelly at least One is of exelent quality and the other one is junk. Way too soft.
One thing I was happy with service and price for both sites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom