Global or chroma 301 knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leechy100

Assistant Cook
i'm about to renew my knife set and fancy something a bit different. ive looked at both the global range and chroma's porsche 301 range but cannot decide between the two, there is not a great difference in price & i have used the global and thought them a little lite although very sharpe can anybody help ?

im all about Global...no experience with chroma...sorry. I love global very much

I bought a set of Chroma knives & like them, I was used to heavier German knives and the Chroma's feel lighter. They seem to hold an edge well however a couple had slight burrs on the blade edge when I received them, I used a smooth steel & they're still razor sharp. I tend to hold a knife close to the blade & like Chroma's seamless blade to handle transition. I have no experience with Global but I just read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential & he recommends them.

Now we just need to find someone who has used both brands.

I bought these

knivesonly.jpg

from GUNTER WILHELM and am completely happy with them. In fact, once I used these, I gave away my Henckles knives.

Global makes a heavyweight/heavy weight line of knives that are more the weight of european cutlery.

I'm looking into getting some Globals, I used one at a friends house and fell in love with it, it seemed like it was made for my hands it was that comfortable to use for me.

I always thought Globals were the ugliest knives ever, so I ignored them for a long time. I was in Williams Sonoma one day and they had a knife demo and the Globals (among others) were out so I picked one up and then it was all over. It was so light and fit my hand so well, I didn't want to put it down! Went home and did a little online homework, then eventually ordered carving, chef's and vegetable knives. Almost didn't get the veg. knife, but now it's my best friend. I expect I'll be adding others to the block soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom