"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

what is the steel you are all talking about? where do you buy it? at a hardware store, a Harbor Freight? how much are they or is it?

Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Haggis, oh please tell me you don't actually eat that stuff

Old 12-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

A honing steel is a tool you should use every single time you use your knife. It does not sharpen then blade. What it does is realign the edge. Whenever you use your knife the edge starts to bend left and right. This does not affect the sharpness, but it does affect how the knife performs.

I just did a quick google to find a picture for you. This is by no means the only honing steel out there. There are tons. This will at least give you an idea as to what they look like. Sometime they are called sharpening steels, but don't be fooled. The do not sharpen.

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...p;PRRFNBR=7102
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis

What are peoples opinions of getting their knives profesionally sharpened? Do you consider it occaisionally necessary? Or do you believe with regular treatment and care you don't need it?

I agree with GB on this.

I have my knives professionally sharpened maybe twice a year thru a reputable cutlery store. It's actually very reasonable $$-wise and they do a good job. I learned to sharpen knives with a stone in cooking school, but I admit to being too lazy to do it as frequently as I should. I do steel my knives before putting them away.

Making sure your knives are very sharp makes a huge difference!!!

With regard to buying knives, it is essential that you actually try a knife before you buy it. Different mfr's products will feel totally difft. in your hand. The handles will be different, the weights and balance will be different, etc. It's like buying shoes. You certainly do not want to plunk down some serious $$ for good knives that don't feel right in your hand. An example: Global knives are excellent products, but I can hardly hold one in myhand. A friend has one and it's great, but its a struggle for me to hold it. Other people love them. So, it's very much an individual consideration.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #15

If anyone is interested, this is link to the Dexter Russell site, so you can see for yourselves the great knives and utensils they make.

You can get them from restaurant supply stores, or they can order them for you.

http://www.dexter-russell.com/produc...er-Russell.asp
Old 12-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
[quote="GB"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
What are peoples opinions of getting their knives profesionally sharpened? Do you consider it occaisionally necessary? Or do you believe with regular treatment and care you don't need it?
I have mine sharpened professionally every 6 months, and I use the steel on them before each use. If you are a regular customer at a butcher shop or meat market, ask the butcher(s) there who sharpens their knives. Chances are they do their own, and will also offer to do yours, free fer nuthin!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #17
Head Chef

I have several nice forged Whustoff Tridents, but honestly I use a Dexter-Russell "Sani-safe" French knife more. And probably my favorite knife for home use is a $45, 10" french knife branded by Edward Don. It's got a non slip plastic handle and a little softer steel than my Tridents. They won't hold the edge as long, but they're easy to sharpen with a few light strokes thru my tungsten carbide sharpener. You never want to use that on a forged knife, but so long as you don't gring the knife down it works great on the rest. Between sharpenings a few licks on the steel is all you need. Plus, since it's only $45, I don't have a heart attack if someone else picks it up!

The Lansky set will let even a noob get a razor sharp edge on nearly any knife. It takes some patience, but it works very well. My dad got me a set years ago for Christmas. That and a steel will keep you sharp.

BTW, I use either a 8" or 10" chef's knife (french knife) for 85% of all my work. On occasion I'll need a paring knife or a something specialized (eg filet knife, medium cleaver or bread knife) but I'm just so used to using my chef's knives that I rarely reach for anything else.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I made friends with the knife sharpening guy that comes to our restaurant. I always offer him a few bucks, but he'll never take it!!!!!!!!