Good Knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kinte

Assistant Cook
Im looking for some good, reasonably priced knives, I have a set of Oneida knives and they were great when i first got them but now they dont seem to stay sharp. I am looking into purchasing a Lansky Sharpener set, do you think that will improve the cutting of my current knives or should i look for others?

I have a Lansky system and I love it. Yes I bet it would probably improve your current set of knives if you sharpened them with the Lansky system. I would give that a shot first if you like your Oneida knives. It would be a lot less expensive than replacing them and if you still decide that you want to get new knives then at least you have a great sharpening system for those.

Make sure to also use a steel on your knives before (or after) each use. This will help your knives stay in top condition.

On our local PBS radio station, an chef was interviewed. During that interview he was asked how to use a steel. He answered and I tried his method for steeling. It really honed the edge of my knives, be they the older Chicago Cutlery, the ancient carbon steel, or the newest high-end Chroma. Here's what he said.

Run the knife at a twenty degree angle lightly accross the steel, as if you were cutting into it. To this 5 times on one side, then the other. Then repeat the process, only this time, running the knife along the steel 4 times per side. Then do it three times per side, then two, and finally give it one last stroke per side.

As I said, it worked incredibly well for me. Give it a try and tell us how it works for you. Of course, you should start with a reasonably sharp knife.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use the exact method Goodweed described. The motion you use is as if you are taking sliced off the steel. Use the weight of the knife to do the work. A lot of pressure is not needed.

Would you perhaps consider getting a professional to bring them back to life?

I am, as of yet, without even one decent knife, hell I do not know what a good knife feels like, but I know when I use one I will :).

What are peoples opinions of getting their knives profesionally sharpened? Do you consider it occaisionally necessary? Or do you believe with regular treatment and care you don't need it?

If you are looking for reasonably priced good knives, I would suggest either Dexter Russell carbon steel knives, or the high carbon steel knives.

They are relatively inexpensive, yet well made.

Haggis said:
What are peoples opinions of getting their knives profesionally sharpened? Do you consider it occaisionally necessary? Or do you believe with regular treatment and care you don't need it?
I think that if you find a professional who does a good job then that is great. The problem is that even professionals can do a bad job and end up ruining your knife. I did not trust myself to just use a stone freehand. I had never done it before and knew I would destroy my knife if I tried so I bought a Lansky system which took all the guess work out of the process. I practiced on a knife I didn't care about first so I was sure I could do it right. I do not think it is necessary to have them professionally sharpened if you or someone you know can do it yourself. If you can't or won't do it then. yes, a pro should be used as long as you feel they will do a good job.

A honing steel is a tool you should use every single time you use your knife. It does not sharpen then blade. What it does is realign the edge. Whenever you use your knife the edge starts to bend left and right. This does not affect the sharpness, but it does affect how the knife performs.

I just did a quick google to find a picture for you. This is by no means the only honing steel out there. There are tons. This will at least give you an idea as to what they look like. Sometime they are called sharpening steels, but don't be fooled. The do not sharpen.

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pr...&StartRow=1&CRPCGNBR=2&CGRFNBR=5&PRRFNBR=7102

Haggis said:

I agree with GB on this.

I have my knives professionally sharpened maybe twice a year thru a reputable cutlery store. It's actually very reasonable $$-wise and they do a good job. I learned to sharpen knives with a stone in cooking school, but I admit to being too lazy to do it as frequently as I should. I do steel my knives before putting them away.

Making sure your knives are very sharp makes a huge difference!!!

With regard to buying knives, it is essential that you actually try a knife before you buy it. Different mfr's products will feel totally difft. in your hand. The handles will be different, the weights and balance will be different, etc. It's like buying shoes. You certainly do not want to plunk down some serious $$ for good knives that don't feel right in your hand. An example: Global knives are excellent products, but I can hardly hold one in myhand. A friend has one and it's great, but its a struggle for me to hold it. Other people love them. So, it's very much an individual consideration.

GB said:
Haggis said:

I have mine sharpened professionally every 6 months, and I use the steel on them before each use. If you are a regular customer at a butcher shop or meat market, ask the butcher(s) there who sharpens their knives. Chances are they do their own, and will also offer to do yours, free fer nuthin!

I have several nice forged Whustoff Tridents, but honestly I use a Dexter-Russell "Sani-safe" French knife more. And probably my favorite knife for home use is a $45, 10" french knife branded by Edward Don. It's got a non slip plastic handle and a little softer steel than my Tridents. They won't hold the edge as long, but they're easy to sharpen with a few light strokes thru my tungsten carbide sharpener. You never want to use that on a forged knife, but so long as you don't gring the knife down it works great on the rest. Between sharpenings a few licks on the steel is all you need. Plus, since it's only $45, I don't have a heart attack if someone else picks it up! ;)

The Lansky set will let even a noob get a razor sharp edge on nearly any knife. It takes some patience, but it works very well. My dad got me a set years ago for Christmas. That and a steel will keep you sharp.

BTW, I use either a 8" or 10" chef's knife (french knife) for 85% of all my work. On occasion I'll need a paring knife or a something specialized (eg filet knife, medium cleaver or bread knife) but I'm just so used to using my chef's knives that I rarely reach for anything else.

I made friends with the knife sharpening guy that comes to our restaurant. I always offer him a few bucks, but he'll never take it!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom