"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Handling knives

In cleaning my knives, I usually use my fingers pressed together on either side of the blade from behind, running them the length of the blade. I only go one direction, away from the handle. Sometimes I use a tiny drop of soap, but mostly just water under the faucet, repeating as necessary. This seems to be safe, as I've never come close to a cut using the method.
Does anyone else do this? I'd also be interested in hearing some of your safety tips.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

I use a nylon dish scrubber brush - a drop of liquid dish washing soap - hot water - and scrub away. Then I rinse under hot runnig water, let drain for a minute, and then towel dry within a minute or two - and put away. I've never had a problem in the 30-years I've had my knives ... and they are not an expensive set.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a sponge with a scrubbing surface on one side. It's one of the blue ones that's teflon safe.

I load it with soap, fold it in half and scrub both sides of the blade at the same time. Then I hold the knide by the blade and do the handle. Then, rinse, drain, dry, hone and hang them on the wall.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I do basically the same as Mike in Ft Worth... but let me add. I always clean my knives when they are freshly dirty.

I just find it easier on the knife, and I always know my blades are clean.
Plus they never- ever go in the sink. Too much chance for a cut in there. Ans it is rough on the points. Use it, clean it, wipe it- put it away.
No problems,
and also- no dishwasher- ever.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Wow. I can't believe that I'm the only one out here that cleans a blade with my fingers. It just seems natural to me. Maybe this should go under the "bad habits" thread.

I do agree that knives are continually cleaned during, and immediately after use, (most of the time...). And they don't go in the sink. (ever)
Old 07-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I do it basically the same way as Andy (folded sponge with soap). I dry them immediately and put them right away when done.

there are some times though that I will just clean them under running water, no soap, with just my fingers. If I just cut something that is not very messy such as slicing a cucumber or something like that.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I must confess that I often don't wash my knives right after use. I often leave them, along with the pots and pans, until the next day. I do rinse off visible dirt before leaving them.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Sheet of Bounty and some dish soap for me. So I'm close to what you do. But I use ceramic blades, which are something of a different animal--they don't have to be "scrubbed" since they don't absorb or take in flavors and the like. If I was using carbon steel or forged blades I'd probably be scrubbing them like everybody who responded to ya so far. Not sure I'd trust the "finger" method with metal in terms of cleanliness.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
Head Chef

I find that jamming them into the dirt gets most food off them, then I just fling them back into the wall.

jk

I find that a lot of the time I do the finger method like steam-it to get the "fresh" debris off the knife so it doesn't stick, then later I use soap and a scrub pad.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
I do it basically the same way as Andy (folded sponge with soap). I dry them immediately and put them right away when done.
I always wash them as soon as I'm finished, also.