"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
First let me say I have had professional culinary training and have had the pleasure of working with some of the finest chefs in the world for the last 40+ years. A chefs cutlery is only second to ones family. My first choice will always be my 40 year old Carbon steel (CS) Henkel's. My wife on the other hand, now that's a different story she has over a twenty plus piece selection of the finest cutlery in the world, but she will go for the pretty GW's every time and she just loves them. The GW's are very well balanced and have a nice weight to them and if you know how to hone and maintain a edge there isn't a issues in quality for the average user. But for me I will just have to keep using my old black Henkel's.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Internet scam

I have used a GW 10" chef knife and indeed it is a work of art. Good balance, pretty and functional. However it is not more than a hair better than a Henckels or any other knife in this market as far as sharpness is concerned. I'd say passable at best. The real scam is when you want to buy one. Shipping is a whopping $70, yes, I am not joking. Even if you try purchasing from another site offering "free" shipping, it's only good for the lower 48. Otherwise be prepared for a shock. Shipping costs more then the freaking knife!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

GW 10" Chef's Knife

I purchased the Gunter Wilhelm 10" Chef's knife in December, 2008. I have been using a decent quality 8" stamped chef's knife for the last fifteen years and decided it was time to buy my first quality forged chef's knife. My target price was $100 and I had a hard cap of $125. GW's $65 price tag caught my eye.

I spent a great deal of time researching my purchase and compared the blade with the Henckels Classic, Shun Classic, Victorinox and Messermeister 10" models. GW mentions Henckles and Wusthof numerous times on their website so clearly they consider these brands their target competitors. The Wustoff was out of my price range. I eliminated the Henckels because the bolster extended the the heel of the blade, a feature (among many) I hated on a Forged Chicago Cutlery 8" knife I'd previously acquired. I eliminated the Shun because I didn't like the rounded handle. This left the Victorinox, GW and Messermeister knives. All appeared to be using a similar quality high carbon stainless steel. The GW was the front runner because of the price and attractive styling of the blade. I did have some concerns however and called GW's toll free number on a Saturday afternoon to see how they responded. The weekend answering service didn't know much but took my number and assured me someone would call me back on Monday. Paul Hellman, the company's founder, called be back less than 20 minutes later. I told Paul I was concerned about the place of manufacture and design of the bolster. He assured me that the blades were forged in Germany and only finished in China. Paul also told me that the blade was sharp all the way to the heel and the bolster was designed so the blade could be run across a sharpening steel from tip to heel without interference from the bolster. I thought about it for a few days and placed the order.

I have now used the knife daily for 8 months for everything from chopping vegetables and slicing meat to breaking down chicken, pork and beef purchased in bulk. I have the following observations:

1) The blade is very sharp from the factory, retains its edge quite well and is refreshed with just a few strokes across my sharpening steel. I use this knife when slicing tomatoes. It cuts through the skin cleanly with no pressure beyond the weight of the blade. Although I have run the blade over my finishing stone a couple of times it really has not needed to be sharpened yet.

2) The knife is well balanced and fits my large hand nicely. There is plenty of knuckle clearance when chopping unless I am seriously ham-fisting the handle.

3) Finally a criticism. The most common use of the chefs knife for me is dicing onions and mincing garlic. I like to remove the skins and papers by pinching them between my thumb and the back corner of the blade and pulling them off. The way the bolster tapers down from the handle to the heel of the blade makes it much more difficult than a knife with a truly bolsterless heel. I often put up with this inconvenience because I don't want to use two knives and this knife is much better at chopping, dicing and mincing that my other two chfs knives but this feature is quite frustrating. I have considered taking my Dremel to the bolster but that just seems wrong.

Verdict: Very good quality knife at a great price. Beautiful and well balanced I prefer it to my Fathers comparable Henckels piece. However, if your onion chopping technique is similar to mine, I suggest you pony up the extra $40 or so for a comparable 10" chefs knife with a truly bolsterless heel.

P.S. Both Paul and the lady managing his warehouse were courteous and responsive to my inquiries. Excellent customer service.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
Head Chef

I dunno about their knives but they seem to have a helluva marketing department.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

WHAT A CROCK! I quote from Sunday Peasant Cooking: " He assured me that the blades were forged in Germany and only finished in China. "

TOTAL LIE. Totally untrue. Are you joking? He told me the same line. He told me this great heartwarming story that was a total fairy tale, there wasn't even a Gunter Wilhelm and after a bit of digging, I called this guy Paul back and he did laugh and say Ok, it was a marketing ploy, but he swore up and down everything else was on the up and up. I returned my set of knives when I could find no record anywhere of this company ever having ties with Germany, no one in Germany associated with the knife industry and steel ever heard of them. They ship the steel from Germany to be assembled into a knife in China? LIE... that is Chinese Steel, and up until just recently, they were not forged steel blades as they have stamped on their product for the last 5 years. Wish I could remember the guy who did his own little test on 10 popular knives, but the results were definitive, and probably the reason why this guy Paul was finally forced to use actual forged steel just this past year. Oh yeah, one of my friends, after six months and 5 replacements of an 8 inch chef knife that either warped, cracked, fell apart or rusted out, the last free replacement knife was sent with the MADE IN CHINA sticker still on it, and the guy tries to tell him it was mistakenly stuck on, transfered onto the plastic by the free knife sharpener they enclosed to mollify him and keep him sending a complaint to his credit card company. Give me a break.... glad to see he is now at least able to admit that the knives are made in China, but that ain't German Steel and like I said, until this year, it wasn't forged.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #26
Executive Chef

The GW stuff seems to be low class stuff.
Things change. All I know is that, for a reasonable balance betwen price and quality, I'm very satisfied with the Goldhamster that I purchased in Germany some 25 years ago. Over time I've also learned to appreciate the Othello Wingen knives I bought at a PX in Italy 45 years ago(no longer in business) and my 30+ some year old Sabatier, Chicago Cutlery and Dexters ain't too shabby either. My opinion of the forgoing knives is based on comparing them to more recent (last 3 years) purchases of several Shun knives and some Spydercos. Spydercos' S30V steel is about the best I've encountered but not to my knowledge available in production cook's knives. With the exception of the S30V, Shun's stuff (as of a year or two ago) were not that much more impressive than most of my older knives.

My wife's favorite is an ATS34 steel AG Russell Hocho. Russell's current models are VG10 steel. My experience with both ATS34 and VG10 is that they are somewhat more prone to staining than most of my other ss knives.

Like I said things change, ie stuff that's good one year may not be so good or available later. For example I bought a Bodum 5 liter water kettle some 4 or 5 years ago that seems to be no longer available.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I bought two GW chef's knives (an 8" and a 10") secondhand from an ebay auction. These are the first decent knives I've owned and I'm very happy with them. The best knife I had previously owned was a stamped "Professional Chef's Knife" purchased from a Gordon's Food Service store. I bought the GW's partly because the price would allow me to make another purchase if I was unhappy with them (I don't usually buy kitchen items secondhand). I use the knives quite a bit and they have held their edge very well. I especially like the fit and balance of the knives in my hand.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

It's great when you come across a deal that works out.

There is always going to be a better knife and you could drive yourself crazy wondering about it. Enjoy your knife and keep it sharp.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Knives for a beginner?

I got laid off from my job (banking), and my goal during my time off is to learn to cook. I just bought these knives, because I couldn't afford the Cutco ones that were $1000. I got them at Costco so I didn't have to pay shipping. For a VERY beginner, how are they? Everyone on this site seems pretty advanced... Thank you!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Any knife will disassemble food. I purposely did not say cut because poor blades do not so much cut as they do rip, shred, tear, etc. If you are a very beginner as you label yourself then take one thing at a time, learn that skill, then move to the next. Without knowing a thing about these knives personally, I will tell you that for now they will be just fine for you. As you become more experience you may decide you want to upgrade and by then you will know more about what you are looking for.

Welcome to the site, and don't be intimidated. We have members who are professional chefs all the way down to people who don't know how to boil water. All are welcome here and all have something to contribute.