"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #31
Executive Chef
They were selling this weekend at Costco

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by sarahj64 View Post
I got laid off from my job (banking), and my goal during my time off is to learn to cook. I just bought these knives, because I couldn't afford the Cutco ones that were $1000. I got them at Costco so I didn't have to pay shipping. For a VERY beginner, how are they? Everyone on this site seems pretty advanced... Thank you!

If you've never had "good" knives before, you'll enjoy these. Keep them sharp and they'll last a long time.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
Smile a topic of consternation

I was looking for some reviews on GW knives as well when I hit on this thread. I have been trying to decide whether or not to be disappointed in my purchase of the GW 250 set. I bought it supposedly "new" and unopened off of eBay for an exceptionally good price, even better than what it's on sale for on the GW site. I felt like I was taking a chance, but I am pretty darn tired of my Ronco set and single Rachel Ray knife.

I was initially disappointed by some quality flaws on the GWs as soon as I opened the box. Rough spots on the metal near the "balance point" where your thumb and forefinger grasp the handle, a broken tip on the bread slicer and a big ding on the cutting edge of the santoku and a weird wavy-ness from the santoku's tapering bolster down to the heel. I managed to smooth the ding out somewhat by honing but it was still there. So, I wrote GW via e-mail. A man claiming to be Paul Hellman wrote back politely and said all would be taken care of and if I would kindly submit it via the warranty process on their website and call in this Monday. So I did. I talked to someone named Jim though Hellman told me to ask for Nick. Long story short, Nick called me back and said my warranty submission was processed and I will receive the knives in about a week. So I am waiting for them now.

Okay, so it's like this. I have champagne tastes on a soda water budget. I would love to get all picky and scientific about metal combinations and hair splitting techniques, but it doesn't get dinner made. I am disappointed in their obvious manufacturing flaws. I have my own high doubts as to where GW knives are made - because I have yet to come across a truly German made product that was less than excellent. (I'm sure there is always the exception). I am SO glad I did not pay more than I did for the set (I got 6 steak knives included as well).

On the up side however. Since my circumstance is not that of a purist I am more than willing to say these should make a fine set of daily use knives with proper care. If you don't pay too much for them, by all means get them. Enjoy them. They make nice eye candy for your counter top. They seem to slice and dice and chop and do all the usual things with ease - especially compared to my previous knives. A big caveat is that the 10 inch chef's is quite a bit too big for my hand's comfort and it's rather heavy and could get tedious for me to use. The Pakka wood handles are also a little harsh-edged and could do with a hint of softening, but perhaps that will come with repeated use.

As a slight aside - I bought an 8 inch Hammer Stahl chef's knife from a local fair, which looks almost exactly like GWs and claims exactly the same things including lifetime warranty..pakka wood etc. Is HS just a knock off of GW or are they somehow related? Incidentally..HS is a wee bit nicer looking because of the way they make the tang curved up the side of the handle like a long "S".

Hope this helps anyone who is looking into GWs or Hammer Stahls for that matter. P.S. Keep your hand and the knife handle dry..they get slippery.
sleepytealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
Funny you mention Hammer Stahl. I was at the State fair just the other day and I walked by a knife the Hammer Stahl booth and said, "looks just like Gunter W. Knives". The guy selling them about came unhinged saying bad things about GW, and how did I know about them...... He seemed like he was guilty about something.
Bottom line>>>> same gig. Made in China, Guy claims made in Germany and finished in China. BS. No country of orig on blades. All of my home and professional knives have Country of O. IN fact, the Hammer Stahl web site itself says blanks make in Germany and sent to China. Even at that, the guy selling them denied it. I showed him the web site on my phone. He said that the web was wrong. Ok, what ever.
GW is having a road show at my local costco, what's really strange is that the knives are extremely identical, except for the curved metal on the handle, even the packaging looks the same. I really checked them out, at both locations and they really feel "eerily identical". Maybe it's me. Also, the claims of great service and lifetime guarintee is really quite similar.
I don't like being mislead.
You know, if I cut down an Oak tree in Washington state and send the wood to china and they manufacture me an Oak Table and hutch, then were was it made? This is what's going on here with GW and HS knives. They should be proud to put Made In China on their knives, that is if if they were indeed proud of their craftshmanship, honing, metal, finishing, shaprening, etc. THis is what really makes me wonder. Don't sell me a Chineese knife telling me that it's great German Quality and craftsmanship at "rock bottom, great deal, better quaility than all of the other "high end knives". That's what really gets me. If I were to get the set at 1/3 the cost, then I'd say that bang for buck you did well. Not here though.
BTW, these knives aren't inexpensive. They are as much as some of the Henkels and Wust that I have purchased over the years (on sale of course).
They may be decent enough knives, not for the price, in my opinion, but they will work. I don't like the smoke and mirrors. I don't like being "LIED TO, BY OMISSION OF THE TRUTH".
amstaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #35
Assistant Cook
Wow, now I am totally confused. I have 3 beautiful Wustofs that my wife got me while vacationing in Germany. But, the prices are fairly high. The GW's are amazingly inexpensive. I just bought a GW boning knife yesterday to give it a chance...I must say that I was impressed, but I am one of those folks that doesn't want to have to replace my equipment every few years. I do use my equipment more than most people and really would like to locate the best value. Perhaps staying with my Wustofs and adding to my collection is the best idea...HELP?
Turk McKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Master Chef
I know, I'm the odd one out here. But I still love the chef's knife that my DW purchased for me back in 2003. Here is a link - Chroma Knives - Chroma Cutlery, Chroma Knife Sets & Kitchen Knives designed by FA Porsche Knives | cutleryandmore.com

I have the 10" chef's knife, and love it. I purchased the same knife for my son, who is a professional cook. It's his most prized knife, and he has had knives of several brands. He also has the santoku and loves it as well. I would love to own the salmon slicing, and the carving knives too. But money is tight right now, and I couldn't justify the purchase, especially when I can use my Chef's knife to do almost any cutting chore in my kitchen. Whenever I go anywhere that I have to cook, my Chef's knife goes with me. The knife shape, ergonomics, and quality just work. The blade holds its edge well, and has only needed to be sharpened once in nine years. I do run it across my sharpening steel before and after every use. But that's honing, not sharpening.

Just another option for anyone looking for good knives.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
Assistant Cook
I purchased a GW knife at a cooking convention. I believe it was called the Metro Cooking Show. I got a great deal because the salesman had not sold any that day. I'm pretty sure I paid $40 for a 10" chef's knife, and he threw in an "Asian cleaver" for free. I used the chef's knife in one of my food prep classes the other day, and I must say that it felt a bit large and clunky for everyday chopping of vegetables such as onions and carrots, etc. I'm not sure, but maybe an 8" would feel better. I actually prefer my Dexter-Russell, which I bought specifically for culinary school, or the 8" chef's knife out of my Henkel set at home. I can say that the GWs look impressive.
Iammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
Executive Chef
I've had my Gunter Wilhelm knives for about 8 years now. I have the 11 piece set, but the old set without the Santoku and a straight instead of off-set bread knife. I didn't get the steak knives becuase I already had two sets of steak knives.

I love my Gunters and would never give them up. I sharpen them every 6 months with the Eversharp electric knife sharpener that they recommended when I purchased them and they hold an edge very well. I had two problems with them; a discoloration on the blade of the paring knife and a loose rivet in the handle of the 8-inch chef's knife and they replaced both without argument. I've been tempted to buy more, but the block is full so I have no place to keep them.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #39
Senior Cook
I have owned a set of ''Wusthof'' Knives for 20 years. They are very well balanced and hold a good edge. Although they need to be sharpened quite frequently, I find these do the trick for me in a commercial setting. When I us a knife for many hours a day how it feels In my hand is important to me, and how tiring it is. Having traveled to catering events and using some ''House knives'' I fond ''Chicago'' and ''Global'' work just fine, for lower end knives. The best and least tiring was a Japanese Santoku with no brand name except ''Cosmic Steel'' Although most German brands are quite the same, this knife was superior to me. If I purchase a new set I will definitely buy these type of knives.

''Good cooking is when things taste of what they are''
mysterychef is offline   Reply With Quote