Has this ever happened to you????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
I know i'm a noobie here:chef: but in the past 17 years i've actually tried (and sold) a few dozen different sets of knives.
After a while i've noticed fatigue while using the knives, which now i attest was strictly my fault because i didn't handle it enough first and foremost. Thankfully however, i never bought a knife off the net just because it looks cool without trying it (because i'd be broke)!
Although through trial and error, from having custom knives to Chicago Cutlery i've realized i can no longer blame the knife:mad: because it's my meat hooks "hands" (just shy of Arsenio Hall size and being ambidextrous).
In the begining every knife feels good, but for me, the longevity of the good feel wasn't there.
then recently i thought i was going to get a Shun set because i love the damascus "look" even though it's not a real actual damascus process, VG-10 "Cladding" which is a lamination......well...... i really wanted the Shun set untill i held them, used them, and realized it did not feel right in my hand (the shape of their handle makes for a "specific" handed knife).:(
In the past few years though, i was bound and determined to find something that did not have the potential to cause cutting fatigue. I had it down to five brands which were Wusthof Culinar, Kyocera, A.G. Russell VG-10, Boker Cera-Titan and Global (which i was not able to ultimately try or handle the A.G. Russell, or Boker).
Fortunately though, (through friends) i was able to try the remainder and finally got the best use out of Global. That nasty fatigue monster got the best of me with the other two only after a few hours of use but Global may seem to some as a bit smaller in handle design, i was able to utilize their shape the best and actually "finally" felt like an extention of my hand (and after a year it still feels as great).
So for all looking in the direction of new knives, spending sometimes 5 or 10 minutes with them, trying them out for a short while and making a final decision may not be enough!

Thanks for listening:mrgreen:

Excellent observations! And I have heard many times that Global knives are great but you really need to use them quite a bit before you buy. Most people love or hate them. I can hardlyhold them.

Thanks!

jennyema said:
Excellent observations! And I have heard many times that Global knives are great but you really need to use them quite a bit before you buy. Most people love or hate them. I can hardlyhold them.

Thanks!

I have family members that actually and mostly benefit from my expierences and mistakes in buying. But NONE of my family can use Global's because they too can't hold them.

I use a wide variety of knives. I have several Global knives and I like them because they are sharp as razors, take a freash edge very well and they are light in wieght and I don't get tired arms or hands using them for a long period. I also have Wustoff, Henkels, Sabatier and I am looking at Furi. I also like to collect knives (could you tell?). I use a 12 inch Henkels Chef's knife for almost all my heavy duty work.

Thanks for the run-down on searching for knives. I actually bought one off the net and have liked it immensely. It's not a heavy knife but the blade shape and handle are perfect. It's the one I go for almost every time. It's a Sankatu (I have a thread about my new baby Sankatu too :cool:)

Everyone needs to go handle and hold the knife you really want - it may not be what you think it is after all! Saves yourself thousands of $$$ year!!!

AND - Welcome to Discuss Cooking BBQ Fish!

I'd also like to add that i have tried Furi for a very short time. Sort of like how you were taught if you don't have something good to say, don't say it at all kind of thing is why i didn't mention it before.
My expierence with them however is with the 7" East/West and the Birds Beak Peeling knife that a (raving) friend of mine let me borrow. Now, i really can't say if it were a bad run, manufacturing flaw, or maybe it was me......but i thought the knives were soft and could not even compare to the sharpness, nor the longevity of the sharpness of other knives i've used. I did have to constantly have to use the steel hone "fingers" and could not get used to that.
Please don't get me wrong because they are pretty good knives at that! But, i am very hard and paticular on knives and it just seems that the edge didn't hold as true as i would have liked.

Still love my Croma. It's light, strong, very sharp, holds its edge amazingly well, and the unique handle shape provides superb control, whether dry and clean, or really greasy. There's intelligent geometry in the handle design. But then what else would you expect from something designed by a member of the Porsche family? :)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom