"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You and me both :)

This is a video of the HD, not the FH, but I love watching it.

For some real fun try that with a cherry tomato. That'll seperate the men from the boys! Or the women from the girls, if you prefer!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Sounds like a challenge I will have to attempt.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #33
Master Chef

Ok. I spent about 3 hours using a Smith's 600 grit stone and some oil to sharpen my chef's knife. It goes through a tomato with zero pressure with ease. I tried dropping a fresh tomato on the blade, as in the YouTube video. First attempt, my aim was off and the side of the tomato hit the knife blade. It cut off a slice. I was happy. I tried two more times, with each drop more carefully aimed. Alas, when the tomato dropped onto the knife so that the center of it hit the cutting edge, it failed to cut, or even break the tomato skin. Now as I said, when lightly pinching the side of the handle, and allowing just the weight of the blade to provide pressure, it slices through the tomato effortlessly. I need to get better sharpening gear if I want to get sharp enough to drop a tomato on my knife and have it cut on contact.

Now the broadheads on my arrows were that sharp before I gave my bow to my son. Does that count?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreyhounds View Post
You need to take copious amounts of close up pictures.
More pictures and maybe video to come hopefully, but I just got the knife here at my office so I took this shot with my phone so that I could post it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	8446  
Old 08-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

GB congrats on your new knife. Looks great!

I watched the video with interest and decided to try it for myself.

I have a Henckels Pro S 8" Chef's Knife. I sharpen it myself to a 25 degree angle on each side but not nearly often enough. I have been telling myself lately that I really should clear a space at my workbench so I could sharpen my knives again because they were not as sharp as they should be.

Today I was having a fresh garden tomato as part of my lunch and decided to reenact the video. I watched the video so I could accurately approximate the angle of the knife and the height from which the tomato was dropped. It worked! The tomato ended up on my counter neatly and smoothly cut in half.

Now all this tells me is that the test is not very good at showing that a knife is super sharp. It's just a slick trick.

i have no doubt that good J-knives can be a lot sharper than my Pro S (heck, my Pro S can be a lot sharper if I chose to change the angle and sharpen it more often) but this test is not the way to demonstrate that.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Andy, thank you for doing that. I was wondering if it really was a good test or not. There sure is showmanship value to it, but maybe nothing more than that. I would be curious to try it with a cherry tomato as Rob suggested. I am guessing that might be a better test. Or maybe try dropping it with almost no distance between the drop and the blade.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy, thank you for doing that. I was wondering if it really was a good test or not. There sure is showmanship value to it, but maybe nothing more than that. I would be curious to try it with a cherry tomato as Rob suggested. I am guessing that might be a better test. Or maybe try dropping it with almost no distance between the drop and the blade.
Have fun. Leaving work early today?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Don't I wish. Actually I am, but it is to make it to an appointment after work so I will be getting home later than usual. If I was smart I would have brought a cutting board to the office today and spent my lunch playing. I am not smart though.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Don't I wish. Actually I am, but it is to make it to an appointment after work so I will be getting home later than usual. If I was smart I would have brought a cutting board to the office today and spent my lunch playing. I am not smart though.

You're smart. You're not a lunatic.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

After all these years I thought you knew me Andy. Well thank you for the compliment even if there are many others who would disagree with your assessment of me.