"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'd check out restaurant supply store in your area first. you are profeccianal, talk to your boss covorkers. I'm sure they will have some good ideas. Better than the ones we can give you here without knowing your budget, your idea of what good knife should look like and million other things that go into bying a knife. If you were getting some knives for home then for sure Wustoff would be great, but for work it is different.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

One company that caters to the food service industry and claims to be "...the largest manufacturer of professional cutlery in the United States" is Dexter-Russell.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook
...Here's a plug on knives by Alton Brown on what makes a good knife.
http://video.google.com/googleplayer...00188336&hl=en

A lot of what AB said here is valid, but remember this is a commercial for Shun knives, not an objective presentation of unbiased knife information.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

thanks everyone for your input. i would get wusthof knives, or any other knife that has a bolster that extends all the way to the blade...because when i slice thinigs, i use the heel of the blade, or very close to it.

so far i've heard good things about shuns and globals, and i'm considering buying one of these two. i was intrested in chromas too, untill i heard about the food tasting like metal or foods chaning colors.

i think i'm gonna go to my local retailertomorrow, and see if they have some shuns in stock. and the next time i see my other boss, i'll ask to try his Global chefs knife.

ohh and charlieD...i wouldn't consider my self "professional chef" but more of a Chef in training. hehe
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
Cook

Cooks Illustrated just updated their chef's knife testing again... and again, the winner for performance and price was the Forchner Fibrox from Victorionox - about $25 from Amazon. It beat the Ken Onion and Alton's Angle chef's knives as well as two other small manufacturers with whom I was not familiar. Wusthof was recommended with reservations.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
Head Chef

How are those things tested? Do they take into account if the knives are regular 440 steel or VG-10 or some better quality steel?

Because with a factory sharpening sure the blade can be nice and sharp, but will it hold up as well over time as the other steels?

A knifemaker i talked to said that alot of those normal series wusthoff and henckel's knives are regular 440 stainless. the same steel they use to make 20 dollar knives. they just rely on their heritage to sell them.

if you are buying an expensive knife, make sure the steel used in making it is not just run of the mill, so you're buying more than just the name.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Smile

I have enjoyed my Cutco knives for over 15 yrs. now. They come with a lifetime guarantee and they will sharpen them for free if you send them back to the company. All you have to pay is s/h - about $8.

Cutco can't be bought in stores. Usually college kids sell them for the summer. They are a little pricey, but are well made and the lifetime guarantee is great.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
Cook

According to Cook's Illustrated:

"We tested nine chef's knives by butchering whole chickens, chopping butternut squash, mincing parsley and dicing onions. We also evaluated their comfort and user-friendliness based on feedback from a variety of testers: right and left handed cooks; skilled professionals and untrained home cooks; cooks with small hands and cooks with large hands. We rated sharpness and edge retention by cutting ordinary sheets of 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper before and after kitchen tests."

disclaimer - I'm not an employee of Cooks Illustrated or any cookware or cutlery manufacturer.

With regards to Cutco - we received a set as a wedding gift sixteen years ago - excellent knives. Just a few months ago, I passed them along to another young couple, as over the years I have replaced many of them with slightly more comfortable knives from Henckels and Wusthof and Shun (oh my!).
Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

went to my local williams sonoma(sp)? and got to hold a 8" shun classic chefs, and an 8" global g-2 chefs.

i'm not sure if i like teh "D" shaped handle on the shun. when i grip the blade with my index and thumb it felt really comfortable, but when i gripped only the handle wasn't sure if i liked where the notch was placed.

the g-2 Global felt a little better, but still felt alittle strange in my hand.felt kind of wierd how the handle kind of more gradually went into the blade, instead of having that curve that's normally there...

i wish they had more knife companies that they stocked. but those and wusthof and henckles were the only ones that they carry...

i gots my self a lot of thinking to do.

oh btw. i saw the threads about the mousepad trick for sharpening convexed edge knives.

is it possible to achieve a convex edge by using three different angles on a whetstone? i saw my ex-boss doing this to a co workers Global knife. and i think he was doing it to his sugimoto knife also.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukeetoshyoo88

oh btw. i saw the threads about the mousepad trick for sharpening convexed edge knives.

is it possible to achieve a convex edge by using three different angles on a whetstone? i saw my ex-boss doing this to a co workers Global knife. and i think he was doing it to his sugimoto knife also.
Three angles would be closer to convex than two, which is what I do. I don't know if the difference would be noticeable. Actually if I do a good job on a single angle it cuts as well as a double angle, although the edge may not last as long. I have a couple of concavely worn whetstones that probably give me a convex edge when I use them.