Hello everyone. Knife info wanted. Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sukeetoshyoo88

Assistant Cook
hello everyone,
heres my first post/thread
hope it's not too annoying.:)

I got my first knife about 6 months ago from my boss. It's a Wusthof Classic paring knife. i read alot of good things about these Wusthof knives, but today at work, i picked up my knife, and noticed that there was a crack in the back end of my handle....i have no idea how it got there..i do leave it at work, and others use it, so i'm not sure how they care for the knife, but is this normal? and what kind of materials do they use in the handle of the classic series?

Also, Lately i've been intresting in Buying my own Set of knives. (i usually use the ones provided by work) I'm thinking of getting a Boning knife, Chefs knife, and maybe another paring knife. SO, what are some good brands to look into? And maybe handle materials?

Hello and welcome to DC. There are many good knives to choose from.

Reading through earlier threads in this Knives Forum will provide you with a lot of information.

quick question.
why is it that Chroma says that a steel will damage it's edge?

and do you really need a chroma stone for goood results?

Sukeetoshyoo88, you wrote "Lately i've been intresting in Buying my own Set of knives" and "i usually use the ones provided by work". For what type of work do you want these knives?

Last edited:
i mostly chop/dice/slice onions, clean off fat/cut pork loin and ribeye, skin/cut salmon/mahimahi, and cut other veggies.

Check out the Gunther Willhelm Collection. I bought the entire set, minus the steak knives, last November, use them every day, and a few swipes on the steel will still bring them back to razor sharp condition. I can see myself resharpening these only about once a year.

Last edited:
Suke, for what you say, a good Santoku knife would be great for you.

I would look into a good quality one.

Sukeetoshyoo88 said:
quick question.
why is it that Chroma says that a steel will damage it's edge?

and do you really need a chroma stone for goood results?

I have a set of Chroma knives & they appear to have a convex edge, a steel would create a straight angled edge. I'm pretty sure the Chroma stone will do the same thing. When mine need sharpening I'm probibly going to use my own stones & go with a straight angled edge, it's easier to maintain

I'd check out restaurant supply store in your area first. you are profeccianal, talk to your boss covorkers. I'm sure they will have some good ideas. Better than the ones we can give you here without knowing your budget, your idea of what good knife should look like and million other things that go into bying a knife. If you were getting some knives for home then for sure Wustoff would be great, but for work it is different.

One company that caters to the food service industry and claims to be "...the largest manufacturer of professional cutlery in the United States" is Dexter-Russell.

thanks everyone for your input. i would get wusthof knives, or any other knife that has a bolster that extends all the way to the blade...because when i slice thinigs, i use the heel of the blade, or very close to it.

so far i've heard good things about shuns and globals, and i'm considering buying one of these two. i was intrested in chromas too, untill i heard about the food tasting like metal or foods chaning colors.

i think i'm gonna go to my local retailertomorrow, and see if they have some shuns in stock. and the next time i see my other boss, i'll ask to try his Global chefs knife.

ohh and charlieD...i wouldn't consider my self "professional chef" but more of a Chef in training. hehe

Cooks Illustrated just updated their chef's knife testing again... and again, the winner for performance and price was the Forchner Fibrox from Victorionox - about $25 from Amazon. It beat the Ken Onion and Alton's Angle chef's knives as well as two other small manufacturers with whom I was not familiar. Wusthof was recommended with reservations.

How are those things tested? Do they take into account if the knives are regular 440 steel or VG-10 or some better quality steel?

Because with a factory sharpening sure the blade can be nice and sharp, but will it hold up as well over time as the other steels?

A knifemaker i talked to said that alot of those normal series wusthoff and henckel's knives are regular 440 stainless. the same steel they use to make 20 dollar knives. they just rely on their heritage to sell them.

if you are buying an expensive knife, make sure the steel used in making it is not just run of the mill, so you're buying more than just the name.

I have enjoyed my Cutco knives for over 15 yrs. now. They come with a lifetime guarantee and they will sharpen them for free if you send them back to the company. All you have to pay is s/h - about $8.

Cutco can't be bought in stores. Usually college kids sell them for the summer. They are a little pricey, but are well made and the lifetime guarantee is great.

According to Cook's Illustrated:

"We tested nine chef's knives by butchering whole chickens, chopping butternut squash, mincing parsley and dicing onions. We also evaluated their comfort and user-friendliness based on feedback from a variety of testers: right and left handed cooks; skilled professionals and untrained home cooks; cooks with small hands and cooks with large hands. We rated sharpness and edge retention by cutting ordinary sheets of 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper before and after kitchen tests."

disclaimer - I'm not an employee of Cooks Illustrated or any cookware or cutlery manufacturer.

With regards to Cutco - we received a set as a wedding gift sixteen years ago - excellent knives. Just a few months ago, I passed them along to another young couple, as over the years I have replaced many of them with slightly more comfortable knives from Henckels and Wusthof and Shun (oh my!).

Last edited:
went to my local williams sonoma(sp)? and got to hold a 8" shun classic chefs, and an 8" global g-2 chefs.

i'm not sure if i like teh "D" shaped handle on the shun. when i grip the blade with my index and thumb it felt really comfortable, but when i gripped only the handle wasn't sure if i liked where the notch was placed.

the g-2 Global felt a little better, but still felt alittle strange in my hand.felt kind of wierd how the handle kind of more gradually went into the blade, instead of having that curve that's normally there...

i wish they had more knife companies that they stocked. but those and wusthof and henckles were the only ones that they carry...:(

i gots my self a lot of thinking to do.

oh btw. i saw the threads about the mousepad trick for sharpening convexed edge knives.

is it possible to achieve a convex edge by using three different angles on a whetstone? i saw my ex-boss doing this to a co workers Global knife. and i think he was doing it to his sugimoto knife also.

Sukeetoshyoo88 said:
oh btw. i saw the threads about the mousepad trick for sharpening convexed edge knives.

is it possible to achieve a convex edge by using three different angles on a whetstone? i saw my ex-boss doing this to a co workers Global knife. and i think he was doing it to his sugimoto knife also.

Three angles would be closer to convex than two, which is what I do. I don't know if the difference would be noticeable. Actually if I do a good job on a single angle it cuts as well as a double angle, although the edge may not last as long. I have a couple of concavely worn whetstones that probably give me a convex edge when I use them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom