"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Henckel Question

I have found knives that are in the Henckle Pro "S" series with different colors on the blades. One is black and the other is red. Is there a difference?

any help is appreciated!!

I am not able to post a link, but if you look at the Pro "S" series on the Henckel website, you will see that in the gift set, there are knives that the stick figure is red as opposed to the black on others.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC!!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

If there's a difference I don't know what it is. It may well be a difference in marking for a different market (eg a gift pack or a special product for a certain department store).
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Yes There Is a Difference

The difference is in the quality of the steel and heat treatment of same. I'm surprised that the black is Professional S.

I have an extra Henckels Chef's Knife given to me by an in-law, and its black on the blade, if there is anything on the blade at all (it looks just like, but is not a Pro S). However, it won't cut butter and you can't sharpen it - it's made from a cheaper grade of steel.

We do have an entire set of Pro S & I'll look at it tonight when I get home. My Pro S chef's knifes, at the least, have the red symbols stamped on the blades. If its only a picture on a website, perhaps they made a mistake.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

All my Professional S knives have a black imprint on the blade. I've had them for 7-8 years and they are great performers. They sharpen well and stay sharp. I think there may be another explanation.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Senior Cook

My understanding is that 2 stick figures and the knife was made in Germany by the original Henckle family business. 1 stick figure means it was made in Spain by an offshoot (cousin?) of the Henckle family.

I believe the German brand is a better quality.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
My understanding is that 2 stick figures and the knife was made in Germany by the original Henckle family business. 1 stick figure means it was made in Spain by an offshoot (cousin?) of the Henckle family.

I believe the German brand is a better quality.

The one figure lines are more affordabe knives while the two figure knives are the higher quality lines. I believe this is by design rather than manufacturing location.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugger View Post
The difference is in the quality of the steel and heat treatment of same. I'm surprised that the black is Professional S.

I have an extra Henckels Chef's Knife given to me by an in-law, and its black on the blade, if there is anything on the blade at all (it looks just like, but is not a Pro S). However, it won't cut butter and you can't sharpen it - it's made from a cheaper grade of steel.

We do have an entire set of Pro S & I'll look at it tonight when I get home. My Pro S chef's knifes, at the least, have the red symbols stamped on the blades. If its only a picture on a website, perhaps they made a mistake.

I thought tmgzzz said they both said Pro S on the blade but were different colors? I'm not really very up to date on Henckels products- I own some but haven't bought any new Germans in awhile. To be honest, I haven't bought a Wusthof or Henckels since I discovered Japanese maker Tojiro.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Old Timer's

My oldtimer's kicking in, looks like all the blades have black symbols on them "ice hardened". There were some red stickers on the handles when they were knew - took a lot of effort/googone to get them/their residue off.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The one figure lines are more affordabe knives while the two figure knives are the higher quality lines. I believe this is by design rather than manufacturing location.

That's my understanding I got from a Henckels website I can no longer find.

I got a used set of Henckels Twin Gourmet with block at an auction. The utility knives have been used and washed so much the etching is almost gone. Outside of this these wood handled knives look almost new.

The block, OTOH, if it had a finish at one time the finish is long gone. If it weren't for the block I would think this set a few years old.

Gotta love Quality.