"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to ohsmily
Henckels Twin Cuisine - use 'em? like 'em?

Any comments or feedback from "knife experts" or Twin Cuisine owners?

Is there a better choice in that price range or under? I must say that I liked the way they felt in my hand (a VERY important factor, I know). But, I just want to see if someone, with more experience/knowledge than I, has a strong feeling one way or another about the Twin Cuisine series.

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have the 7" santoku and I like it a lot

Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I like em...for metal blades, at any rate.

I mostly like the fact that it's a single tang instead of the rivets. I hate rivets. I have the 7" hollow scalloped santoku...it's a good knife.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Please explain "instead of the rivets".
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have Henckels Professional S with a full tang and rivets.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Please explain "instead of the rivets".
OK, look at the handle of the Twin Cuisin knife. See that streak of steel that runs the length of it, with a weight of it at the back of the knife? That's a tang. Tangs are essentially pushed into the handles of the knives. They help with balance and durability. Rivets are just the little circular pieces of metal you see in other knives.

Oftentimes (like with the Pro S series a poster above was talking about) the rivets are just decorative. I'm not a big fan of those either, as I don't like the feel of "cold spots", but that's a personal thing. Knives with functional rivets, however...they don't last as long. The rivets come loose, the handle starts to fall apart, they don't provide proper balance, etc. It's just ugly
Old 08-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

With all due respect, I think you are mistaken. Rivets hold the full tang in place in high quality knives. And in my Henckels and Wusthof or even the Chicago Cutlery boning knife NO rivets have ever come loose nor have they fallen apart after 40+ years of hard use.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to ohsmily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
OK, look at the handle of the Twin Cuisin knife. See that streak of steel that runs the length of it, with a weight of it at the back of the knife? That's a tang. Tangs are essentially pushed into the handles of the knives. They help with balance and durability. Rivets are just the little circular pieces of metal you see in other knives.

Oftentimes (like with the Pro S series a poster above was talking about) the rivets are just decorative. I'm not a big fan of those either, as I don't like the feel of "cold spots", but that's a personal thing. Knives with functional rivets, however...they don't last as long. The rivets come loose, the handle starts to fall apart, they don't provide proper balance, etc. It's just ugly
You are indeed mistaken. Many high quality knives use rivets to hold the handle to the tang and keep it all in place. They are not decorative. I know the Twin Cuisine has a different construction and does not use rivets, but this alone does not make it a higher quality knife (though, personally, I like the appearance and feel of the nicely curved handle).

I am not certain, but I suspect that even your Pro S series have "real" rivets and they aren't just cosmetic or "decorative" as you put it.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have 3 of them. and love them. My old Henckels' handles were too big for my hands. Not only do these fit in my hand properly, I like the feel and balance of them.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have some Henckles and really like them...I think they are 15 years old and I am still using them.