Honing Steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sukeetoshyoo88

Assistant Cook
so i've been reading around at some forums.

and many people say that having a honing steel that has no grooves is better for your edge, then a steel with grooves, especially for japanese blades.

is this true?

how much of a difference does it make?

I use a steel from the manufacturer of my knives and it has ridges/grooves. I figure they know what they are doing,

I use a diamond steel ... it sharpens and hones and will keep your knife in great shape between professional sharpenings. DMT Sharpening steel is highly recommended.

Last edited:
I'd say the best way to go is a diamond steel, for the reasons robo stated. They dont have grooves, however. If you can't afford/ dont want a diamond steel, the ones with grooves perform about the same as the ones without, in my experience.

Grooved steels are a bit harsher than plain steels. Both will true an edge fine but a grooved one will wear the edge faster needing true re-sharpening faster than a smooth one.

The honing steel with no grooves will straighten an edge that has bent microscopically. Picture a witch's hat with a crooked tip, after steeling you get a nice straight pointy hat. Now picture a witches hat with the tip broken off The honing steel with grooves or the diamond steel will grind a new tip shortening the hat a bit in the process. I use the no groove steel until the edge doesn't straighten easily, then I use a grooved steel to create a new point, then it's back to the no groove...etc.

Andy M. said:
I use a steel from the manufacturer of my knives and it has ridges/grooves. I figure they know what they are doing,
I'm with Andy except the the gooves are pretty much worn off. I hone with each use and don't intend to replace the steel.

Michael Cook said:
Grooved steels are a bit harsher than plain steels. Both will true an edge fine but a grooved one will wear the edge faster needing true re-sharpening faster than a smooth one.

this is what i have read. that grooved steels kill yoru edge faster then a smoooth steel. and wanted to know what everyones thoughts on this were.

Sukeetoshyoo88 said:
this is what i have read. that grooved steels kill yoru edge faster then a smoooth steel. and wanted to know what everyones thoughts on this were.

Neither steel kills the edge, both repair damage done to the edge from everyday use. The grooved steel is harsher but is necessary when a smooth steel won't work any more.

Back
Top Bottom