"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hot knives

Hello everyone, I am an industrial design student thinking of designing an electrically heated kitchen knife. My problem is im an no chef and have little knowledge of this field. I would be extremly grateful to know if anyone here has ever used a heated knife.

If so was it any good? Are they any obvious reasons why you wouldn't want to use one, or any general comments on the subject would great.

I suppose the biggest question i need to pose though is, if there was a knife that heated extactly the way you wanted, would you bother buying one?

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What would be the benefits of using a heated knife? I've never heard of that, but I'm only a cook at home.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

The only benefit of a heated knife that I could see would be to cut frozen foods. But, since you'd have to let the majority of frozen foods defrost anyway in order to cook properly, you may as well do that and then cut it with a normal knife.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Head Chef

ditto to what licia said. But I am a known gadget freak, so would love to come across one to try.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

When I cut lots of cheese at work for a cheese tray, I like to run the knife I'm using under hot running water. This serves two purposes: 1) Heats the blade enough to help cut the cheese. 2) Moisture helps to lubricate the knife as it cuts the cheese.

That's the only reason why I could think of someone wanted a heated knife. Since I want it wet as well as warm, I'd rather just take a regular knife and run it under water.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

The only other use I could think of would be for slicing ice cream cake, but I would rather just dip a reg knife in hot water than to have to have another gadget that I would only use for one or two things and only once or twice a year at the very most.

Elbazo, what benefits were you thinking this type of knife would have?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies, i thought that having the knife heated would make it easier to cut awkward foods ,though it seems there is not enough times where this happens for it to be of much use.

(Back to the drawing board :))
Old 10-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Good luck Elbazo and please feel free to bounce other ideas off of us. We are more than happy to help by giving advice and suggestions
Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

I do have an idea for you. Rather than heating a knife, would it make sense to have a low heat stand-alone element for removing items like jello, or buttery crust, cookies, etc. from cold pans. the gentle heat of water is usually used for this purpose. But with something like a springform pan, water will leak into the pan, relulting in a soggy drust. But if there were a flexiple heating pad type of device, that would wrap around a pan and supply safe, low temperatrure heat, in the 98 to 110 degree F. range, it would make removing foods easier in many applications, and would not scorch the foods.

This device might also be useful for keeping foods warm.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbazo View Post
Hello everyone, I am an industrial design student thinking of designing an electrically heated kitchen knife. My problem is im an no chef and have little knowledge of this field. I would be extremly grateful to know if anyone here has ever used a heated knife.

If so was it any good? Are they any obvious reasons why you wouldn't want to use one, or any general comments on the subject would great.

I suppose the biggest question i need to pose though is, if there was a knife that heated extactly the way you wanted, would you bother buying one?

Thanks for your time.
Waste of time for me. Easy enough to put the kettle on and dip a knife in it. Enough clutter in my utensil drawer as it is.

I suppose there are enough daft people around to buy one though. A fool and his money are soon parted.