"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quatenary sanitizers are used in the food industry, as you can't taste any residue, and it kills bacteria.

If you like the idea of soaking equipment in an antibacterial solution, go to a pool supply place and gets some clorine tablets. I can't think of the abbrieviation for them right now. Use a pair of pliars, crush half the tablet into a gallon of extremely hot water. Stir to dissolve the crushed tablet. Once that's dissolved, place your items in that and let it sit for a few minutes. Pull it out and air-dry.

That's how I learned to sanitize dishes out where I used to go backpacking.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Allen, I was under the impression that clorine would rust metal very quickly. I was told this by my father in law who told me not to store my clorine tablets in the shed with my lawn mower as it would make it rust in no time. I am just bringing this up so that people with carbon knives do not try this. I am not sure if that short amount of time would really do any damage, but just something to possibly be aware of.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Household bleach works for sanitization. The chlorine tabs from the pool store are the same stuff.

The Clorox bleach bottle and their website tell you how to use their bleach as a sanitizer.

I keep a spray bottle of bleach and water under the sink and use it to sanitize after cutting meats, primarily poultry. Spray the counter top, sink and knives and then rinse.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
AndyM - that is primarily what I do but with Clorox Cleanup - I know there is a good amount of bleach in this product - I have ruined several shirts! I only do this when I am working with raw meat.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #15
Master Chef

The only time I put a knife, or actually the knife, into dishwasher is when I cut a chicken. I have one knife I use for that. The only thing that is bad for any knife is heat. Even hot water is bad. So the rest of my knives are washed ander warm water with soap of my wifes choice. I do not like doing dishes, sorry DW.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
AndyM - that is primarily what I do but with Clorox Cleanup - I know there is a good amount of bleach in this product - I have ruined several shirts! I only do this when I am working with raw meat.
It's basically the same thing. The mix it yourself method is a little cheaper.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

Michele - I must amend (correct) what I previously said about how I wash my knives. I wash my knives and plastic cutting boards with a few drops of straight liquid dish washing soap and just enough hot water to work up a lather, let sit for a minute or two, rinse with hot water, sprinkle on some Comet or other chlorine containing powder, work up a lather and let sit for a minute or two, scrub again for a few seconds, rinse, then use more dish washing liquid and hot water to wash off the chlorine residue - dry with a clean dish towel and put away.

I went out and checked the Lysol (Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray) and Clorox (Clorox Clean-Up) websites - they both claim 99.9% kill in 30 seconds. If you make a mixture of 1-Tablespoon Clorox to 1-qt water - the kill time is 2 minutes. Straight 5% vinegar - 3-5 minutes. I use vinegar on my wood cutting boards and just let them air-dry overnight.

I am familiar with the Quaternary (ammonium based alkaline) sanitizers AllenMI was talking about - it's the 3rd sink solution (or the solution in the 3rd sink) .... wash in soap & water (sink 1), rinse in clean hot water (sink 2), and a final rinse in the sanitizer (sink 3). They are also about a 30-second kill time sanitizer. You can see this used in action in just about any bar where the bartender is washing the glasses behind the bar.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I went out and checked the Lysol (Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray) and Clorox (Clorox Clean-Up) websites - they both claim 99.9% kill in 30 seconds. If you make a mixture of 1-Tablespoon Clorox to 1-qt water - the kill time is 2 minutes. Straight 5% vinegar - 3-5 minutes. I use vinegar on my wood cutting boards and just let them air-dry overnight.
Thanks for the information! I use either one - whatever I grab first. Do you use vinegar on your cutting boards every time you use them or just periodically?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Do you use vinegar on your cutting boards every time you use them or just periodically?
Just about every time I use it with anything that is wet ... but nothing fancy or exotic- I just put a little vinegar on a paper towel and wipe the board down with it. But, I also keep my wood board well oiled so nothing is likely to absorb into it. How often I oil it depends on (a) how much I use it and (b) the time of the year - I oil it more in the winter when I'm running the heater and the humidity is low. In the winter I might oil it once a week - in the summer about every 6 weeks or so.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Just about every time I use it with anything that is wet ... but nothing fancy or exotic- I just put a little vinegar on a paper towel and wipe the board down with it. But, I also keep my wood board well oiled so nothing is likely to absorb into it. How often I oil it depends on (a) how much I use it and (b) the time of the year - I oil it more in the winter when I'm running the heater and the humidity is low. In the winter I might oil it once a week - in the summer about every 6 weeks or so.
What type of oil do you use?