"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
How do you clean your knives?

I don't put my knives in the dishwasher and usually wash them with hot water and dish soap. However, I get goofy when it comes to a knife I used on raw meat or seafood. I usually rinse them with water, spray some Clorox Cleanup or Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray on the blade and let it sit at least 10 minutes and then wash it with hot soap and water. Could this damage the blade? I'm anal, just wanna make sure all bacteria is dead.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I wash my knives immediately after using them. They never go in the dishwasher. Depending on what I used them for I will either use only water or hot water and soap. If I cut meat or anything messy then I will use soap. If I cut something like a carrot then I will just wash with water and dry well.

I have no idea if clorox or lysol would be bad for your knives, but my gut says it won't do any damage.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Antibacterial soap and water will not harm your knives. I often spray them with a dilute bleach spray if I've been cutting stuff like chicken. I have had no problems to date.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hot water and plain old dishwashing detergent. I don't do anything else, and I can't imagine anything sticking to a knife. I rinse them fairly often in hot water while I'm using them, so nothing really gets a chance to stick anyway.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

My sushi knives go in the dishwasher. My main knife set is ceramic though, so they aren't dishwasher safe...they get the hand washing with Joy. Anything more than that is just overkill anyways.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
Master Chef

If I am cutting something like chicken or seafood ... I rinse with hot water and use a nylon scrub brush with liquid dish washing soap ... let the soap sit on it for about a minute - then scrub again for about 30-seconds, rinse, and wipe dry, and put away. Actually, that's what I do anytime I cut any meat - come to think of it.

Spraying your knives with a "sanitizing" solution and letting them sit for more than a minute is "overkill" (actually, wasted time). All it takes for max effectiveness is 30-seconds.

"Sterilizing" your knives (killing 100% of bacteria) is not practical or readily achievable in the home kitchen - and even if you "Sterilizied" them they wouldn't stay that way.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Sorry guys - I know I am anal. Let me explain.

I took a microbiology class and we studied bacteria. I know that several cleaners (Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Spray) says on bottle's directions to let sit 10 minutes - However Clorox Cleanup says let sit 30 seconds. I do know that we had to sterilize our equipment - and that meant with bleach and also letting it sit.

I don't know at what temperature water has to be at to kill bacteria - and I am not sure if soap kills all bacteria - I am concerned about raw meat - not so much anything else.

I learned some scary stuff about bacteria and viruses - sometimes too much information is not good. In this case, I think I may be developing OCD - I am driving my family nuts! (I hope not you guys )
Old 03-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

you can buy commercial sanitizer powder or pellets, and fill a tub or ice cube bin with hot water and drop this stuff in. Then just rinse your knives of crud and drop them in. 5/10 min during cleanup or as part of preparation.

At CIA each work station has a tub of the sanitizer. It is changed every few hours. It is simply part of food safety preparation.

You could do the same with hot water and antibacterial soap or a bleach solution.

I don't see it as a problem if it becomes part of your regular kitchen routine.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thanks for the info Robo - like I said, the raw meat thing creeps me out. I usually wash my knives immediately and for the ones that get the bleach soak, I set them in the sink and spray.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Well, I guess you can't be too careful.

I've had food poisioning due to my own carelessness with cooking utensils, and that taught me.

I use bleach, too, then hot water and soap, the the top rack of the diswasher, set to clean with hot water.

That's not obsessive, isit?