How does Shun rate vs. the competition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt. Pepper

Assistant Cook
Looking for some testimonials from people who have Shun knives and how they rate next to some of the other popular brands. I own Wusthof, Henckels, and Global knives and was thinking about buying a Shun. How do they Compare? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I own a Shun 8” Chef and it is the sharpest knife I have ever used. It is by comparison sharper than the Wusthof that I own. I do feel you hit a point of diminishing returns with Shun. It is sharper but, $50 bucks sharper, I don’t know, my Wusthof is **** sharp. If you have a thing for knives, get one, they are beautiful and a pleasure to use.

Unfortunately, my Shun knife has not made me a better cook and stuff tastes the same as it did before, it just makes prep a bit more fun. That said, you will have to pry my Shun from my cold dead hands.

Shun are good but i don't think compare to Global especially in sharpness and handle design (Shun are hand specific). The only knives i think would be better IMHO are real Damascus Japanese knives, but those are $$$$.

I would take a small cooler of the type food items you'de prep to the store and try one. They are indeed wonderous and don't fit my hand for beans.

at least when you take your finger off it won't hurt

Shun is for the money the best edge you can get on a knife (in my experience). However the steel is so hard that you really need to know what you are doing in order to properly take care of that edge. Unlike with your softer German blades the Japanese "supersteel" knives like Shun and Global take patience and excellent technique if you want to keep that razor edge. Also Shun knives offer only lightweight, very thin blades, that require a little more finesse and control despite the reduced drag that they offer... but man are they ever pretty!!! I think I'll just stick with my Globals.

Back
Top Bottom