"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I went and bought a drawer insert for my knives like the one pictured below. It was a little spendy, but I like the fact that it clears up valuable counter space. Another option is a magnetic wall mount, but I've always felt those are a little dangerous if you have any kids around, since the blades are exposed.
I've seen those drawer holders. Not exactly what I meant by tossing your knives into a drawer. I have more counter space than drawer space, so use blocks. Sticking exposed blades to a wall sends shivers up my spine, although a lot of folks use them.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve--where'd you get that? I think I know the next woodworking project the DH will be asked to do...can you PM more information (size, etc.).

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I was making a crown roast of pork at my sister's house, and was having trouble removing the chine bones, as they didn't have suitably sturdy knives. He and I went to the garage, put down newspaper, and went to work with the Saw's All. It worked like a champ. We still laugh about the manly way we took care of that task.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
A Sawzall is a standard tool in a packing house. Just the ticket for halving a steer.

When I was growing up and doing a lot of hunting, we cut up more than a few deer on a Dewalt radial.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I was making a crown roast of pork at my sister's house, and was having trouble removing the chine bones, as they didn't have suitably sturdy knives. He and I went to the garage, put down newspaper, and went to work with the Saw's All. It worked like a champ. We still laugh about the manly way we took care of that task.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
We've used the band saw from time to time. A friend of mine had a 48 lb turkey one year. Her husband cut it up in the work shop using the band saw, and they have good knives--he sharpens knives (among other things) for a living.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
We've used the band saw from time to time. A friend of mine had a 48 lb turkey one year. Her husband cut it up in the work shop using the band saw, and they have good knives--he sharpens knives (among other things) for a living.
Band saws are also standard butcher shop equipment. DH talks about using one in a butcher shop when he was about 15, no OSHA regs at that time.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Steve--where'd you get that? I think I know the next woodworking project the DH will be asked to do...can you PM more information (size, etc.).
CWS, I bought mine (two of them actually, though I haven't used the second one yet) on Amazon. Just do a search on "knife drawer insert" and several different models should come up.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I've seen those drawer holders. Not exactly what I meant by tossing your knives into a drawer. I have more counter space than drawer space, so use blocks. Sticking exposed blades to a wall sends shivers up my spine, although a lot of folks use them.
I like my knives conveniently within reach in their block, would think that opening a drawer all the time would be a bother.

Does anybody else have a rule to have only one knife in use at a time? Or two maybe?

I don't like the idea of leaving knives on the counter in the middle of cooking. I use a knife, run some hot water over it and wipe it with a towel, then put it back into the block. Not only safer but I don't have to look for a knife that I've misplaced.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have a rule, but my kitchen anal retentiveness means I can't have more than one knife out at a time. I would like the insert--I don't like things on the counter except what I'm using to cook. Right now, I have to have the block on the counter. (It astounds me that I get any cooking done at all with how anal I am about keeping the kitchen counters clean...which they are not right now--the FP is out, there is a basket of chard waiting, etc., etc., etc.).
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Maybe not a rule, just a practice, or "in the habit of." I'm a bit neatness obsessive too and having sharp knives laying about the counter bothers me. And if I unconsciously put something on top of the knife I might end up losing it for a few minutes.

My knife block, coffee maker and microwave were the three best spent use of my small kitchen counter space. I hope my next kitchen has a lot more room, even to leave the food processor out. Maybe even leave out that sous vide I covet.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #50
Wine Guy

I like the idea of the knives tucked away safely in the drawer. They also seem to stay cleaner there. When I had a knife block on the counter, I was always having to wipe grease and dust off the thing. No right or wrong, just my own preference.