"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I like the idea of the knives tucked away safely in the drawer. They also seem to stay cleaner there. When I had a knife block on the counter, I was always having to wipe grease and dust off the thing. No right or wrong, just my own preference.
I agree. I always seem to be bumping it over. I don't like to do "deep cleaning" and a greasy knife block always seems to collect dust, so has to undergo deep cleaning on a regular basis (before I got my Shark EuroPro steamer, deep cleaning often involved tooth brushes, cotton swabs and hours of time). The Shark EuroPro is like having a pressure washer for inside. For really grimy stuff, there is always the pressure washer! I have cleaned the oven racks and the stove burner pans with the pressure washer...but I am not an obsessively tidy person, I do have clutter in other rooms, it is just I have a thing about a clean kitchen and clean bathroom. Oh, and floors. And windows...you'd think three years' of therapy would've cured me of this...I guess not. I just restrict the rooms where I deep clean now.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #52
Executive Chef

I never ever put my knives away with anything on them at all. My block is as clean as it was the day I bought it. Often hot water rinse and wipe are as much as they need, but if necessary (if they're greasy) I'll use hot soapy water until there's no residue left.

My block was out of the way next to my refrigerator not my stove so the block doesn't get grease splattered on it. I would occasionally remove all the knives and run a damp cloth over the surface to remove dust or anything else.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #53
Executive Chef

The drek collects in the groves, especially for carbon steel knives
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #54
Executive Chef

My block's grooves go all the way through and I occasionally look to see if there's anything inside.

The only thing I see is wear on the bottom edge due to repeatedly removing/inserting the knives, which is of course to be expected.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
My block's grooves go all the way through and I occasionally look to see if there's anything inside.

The only thing I see is wear on the bottom edge due to repeatedly removing/inserting the knives, which is of course to be expected.
I place my knives into the block with the sharp edge up. This keeps the edge from running on the wood, as I slide them in and out of the block. It protects both the knife edge, and the block.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I place my knives into the block with the sharp edge up. This keeps the edge from running on the wood, as I slide them in and out of the block. It protects both the knife edge, and the block.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
The slots in my block are horizontal.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Well, I'll admit I never thought of that! However it would probably take me years to retrain myself. You know, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

TL, just curious what brand you got. I've never seen a knife block configured horizontally.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #58
Executive Chef

There's something about edge up knives that makes me uncomfortable.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
There's something about edge up knives that makes me uncomfortable.
Me too. I was told never to point a sharp object or a bullet at anything I did not want to hurt. I use horizontal blocks. They are widely available. I think CKTG and Cutlery and more both have them. I have also seen them locally

tg
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Well, I'll admit I never thought of that! However it would probably take me years to retrain myself. You know, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

TL, just curious what brand you got. I've never seen a knife block configured horizontally.
Henckel, it looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	15244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	15245